High quality prints

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Kjetilei

High quality prints

Post by Kjetilei »

Hi guys and gals.

We should collaborate in sharing settings and photos of results from our prints to establish base settings for high quality prints.

We could also establish a common "agreement" of what "high quality prints" means ;)

Please include information about slicer software and settings and photos of prints (straight from the printer and cleaned up results):
(made up example)
Slic3r v0.xxx
; layer_height = 0.1
; perimeters = 2
; solid_layers = 4
; fill_density = 0
; perimeter_speed = 30
; infill_speed = 50
; travel_speed = 100
; scale = 1
; nozzle_diameter = 0.35
; filament_diameter = 1.75
; extrusion_multiplier = 1
; single wall width = 0.38mm
; first layer single wall width = 0.60mm

Attached you'll find some test objects that can be used but you are not limited to those.

I'll try to upload some of my initial results later tonight.

Good luck :)
Attachments
Nautilus_Bar_Lower.STL
(243.44 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Nautilus_Bar_Upper.STL
(65.32 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Nautilus_Gear.STL
(339.34 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
nautilus_plate.stl
Single plate - multiple parts
(3.31 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
octopus_v18_yeoldebrian.stl
(4.9 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
Owl_sc50_cushwa.stl
(3.75 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
rook_cbiffle.stl
(167.86 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Snake_zomboe.stl
(2.04 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
torturetest_cbiffle.stl
(980.66 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

black1q

Post by black1q »

I will take a closer look at the owl, how long it will take and which kind of layer density I could use, but later on when I wake up again.
good night all together.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Below you'll find my imperfect test prints. I have never gotten around to fine tune the assembly and have some small issues that has not bothered me on the types of prints I normally do. I post this so that you can see that a "badly" tuned Felix printer can print quite nice prints but with imperfections that are unacceptable in certain conditions. I wouldn't win any "best print" awards though ;)

Later tonight I'll add the settings I'm using to this post.

This print has also inspired me to do the fine tuning of the sliding bearing and belt assembly on the x-axis (and y-axis) that I have thought about for a looong time...
Test plate on single layer raft
Test plate on single layer raft
Torture test - looking quite nice but there are imperfections...
Torture test - looking quite nice but there are imperfections...
Ragged edges in the lower left of the photo. Layer changes on cube wall are nicer in real life than in photo
Ragged edges in the lower left of the photo. Layer changes on cube wall are nicer in real life than in photo
Uneven surface on the lower part of the cube and ragged edges on the arch
Uneven surface on the lower part of the cube and ragged edges on the arch
Ragged ends on cylinders - x-axis imperfection
Ragged ends on cylinders - x-axis imperfection
Ragged edges on arch and corner of cube. Small oscillations on cube wall
Ragged edges on arch and corner of cube. Small oscillations on cube wall
Few problems with overhangs
Few problems with overhangs
Tiny bit of stringing
Tiny bit of stringing
Chess piece - looking quite nice but there are imperfections...
Chess piece - looking quite nice but there are imperfections...
Ragged ends on chess piece - x-axis imperfection - same problem in same angle as seen on cylinders
Ragged ends on chess piece - x-axis imperfection - same problem in same angle as seen on cylinders

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Nice looking pictures. I notice the following on your pictures.
- Temp too high, You see the bulges when starting a new layer on the chesspiece.
- also on the round pilars, slight backlash is observable.

I've attached a picture of the owl at 0.1mm layer height.
Owl at 0.1mm layerheight
Owl at 0.1mm layerheight
Still not optimal in my opinion, a slight z-axis wobble is noticable. Will print another this week...

@black1q: hope you got some good rest :)

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Temp too high: Are you sure? It was printed at 180 degree Celsius. I'm not doubting you but I have always believed it was caused by a combination of the backlash and tiny vibration when moving the x-axis to the left (I can hear the slider oscillating while it moves to the left but it is quiet when it moves to the right). I'll test what happens when I lower the temperature.

Yes I still have some backlash present but hopefully not for long. The printer is getting a long needed fine tuning. I've been to lazy to fine tune the sliding bearing and belt assembly due to the disassembly involved :)

Nice looking owl print! Please share the settings. Looking forward to the 50 micron super high quality wobble free definition-of-perfection print later this week ;)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

I didn't use slic3r but skeinforge to print the owl. Still my preferred slicer even though it takes longer to slice.

To have a very nice finish but still a reasonable print time I mostly use a layer height of 0.1mm (High quality profile)
I also noticed that when printing with a layer height above 0.25mm overhangs start to come out more difficult.

See attachment for some SFACT profiles which I’ve tuned for some specific parts.
The folders inside the zip-file have to be placed in the following folder
C:\Program Files\Repetier-Host\sfact_profiles\profiles\extrusion

Test min layer height: Profile I use to achieve a print with the minimum possible layer height. I noticed that a successful print is dependent upon the following two parameters
2012-09-10_180423.png
2012-09-10_180423.png (2.49 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
As you can see they are much more off than for a larger layer height.
Owl: used to print the owl
Enclosure: For an enclosure with large overhangs, and required support material.

I’ll try to print some stuff out and place it on this topic. Looking forward to your optimal print results.

black1q

Post by black1q »

Good morning :)))
I thought, why not try the owl in ABS with the Aceton+ABS solution? And you wont belive it, this trick sucks! :D
The ABS stucks so hard to my printbed that I hardly could remove it. This is the first ABS oject without any problems!
But next time I try it with a raft.
The print was made with 0.17 layers and took about 1,5 houres and the result is much nicer than the pictures could show.
Bacause on the picture it is oversized and in real you could hardly see the layers if the object is about 50cm away from your eyes.
P1060379.JPG
P1060383.JPG
P1060384.JPG
Now the next question, where should I send it, to you Guillaume or direct to Make magazine?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

black1q: wonderful result! Could you please add the slicer settings :)

There are some small imperfections on the back of the owl. Are those part of the model or print "errors"? (I haven't looked close into the model...) Minor issue though...

black1q

Post by black1q »

Yes there are some very small imperfections, and the long one below the wing is a small crack as I tried to get the sculpture from the printbed. You dont see this in real so I also did not recognize it until now.
My settings are
Skeinforge standart settings except the following
layer_height = 0.17
solid_layers = 4
fill_density = 0.15
nozzle_diameter = 0.35
filament_diameter = 1.75
single wall width = 0.38mm
clip = activate
dimension volumetric extrusion = activate
fillet = activate arc segment
hop = activate
infill = activate
jitter = 2.5
lash = activate
multiply = activate
skin = activate division set to 2, 2, 2
skirt = activate
speed = activate
stretch = activate
Heater temperature in pronterface 230° for ABS

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

black1q: sorry for the nitpicking, but what speeds where this printed at?

In addition to the settings we could also include a gecode file of our prints so that others could try to print with the same settings. Hopefully the differences between Felixes is small enough that this would work even on high quality prints.

I'll try to dig up a gecode of the plate I printed yesterday and include it with the settings I used.