High quality prints

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Kjetilei

Re: High quality prints

Post by Kjetilei »

I used to print hotter earlier but have settled on 180 +/- 5 degrees with the different makes of PLA I have. This off course has to be adjusted if trying to print really fast.

I haven't experienced stretched (oval?) circles along one axle before. Are you sure that the "left" and "right" curve on both ends are not different? One more square than the other - this is the usual sign of backlash that I know of.

Pleas let us know how how the overnight print goes - the good and the bad :)

I'm a little "frustrated" at myself at the moment for not having bothered fine-tuned my printer earlier. I'm about to do a serious disassembling of my machine (hopefully next week) and will pay special attention to this then...

Example:
Link to thread

PS: printing the snake turned out to be much harder than I had ever imagined - the edges lifts even with the tiny (0.15 density ratio) raft I'm currently testing with.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Indeed a great opportunity to learn :)...

Just finished the chess piece. See pics below, just the high quality profile, with infill set to 0.25. it's printed at 185 degC. FYI, there have been are two types of thermistors with the felixprinters. With very thin black cables and with a two colored cables. The first one requires approx 10 deg lower temp to obtain the same results as it has a slightly different thermistor beta value.
Just finished print
Just finished print
P9120439.JPG
P9120445.JPG
P9120440.JPG
P9120443.JPG
When looking at the close up, there are still some imperfections, mostly at the start of a perimeter. It seems impossible to completely get rid of it.

@HLA, if a circle is stretched along a diagonal, one of the two axes suffer from more backlash than the other. Things I usually try are:
- Put some teflon spray along the rail with a q-tip
- Tension belts properly, not too tight because that will require the motor to deliver more torque.
- Tweak the amount of kapton tape (or any other tape) behind the sliders. This can take quite some trial and error, to get it perfect. (no play in bearing and also the least amount of friction)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Kjetil, strange that you have sticking problems. Are you using kapton tape? I guess the bed needs to be perfectly level for the snake part. I'm now trying the snake, hopefully it will not loosen from the bed as I'm going to sleep....

black1q

Post by black1q »

Hi Kjetilei, sorry I forget to answer your question.
I printed in the standard speed, I did not change anything.

HLA

Post by HLA »

This owl-print finished this morning. Black is an excellent color for debugging - you can see every tiny error.

Settings:
- 200deg
- "owl" settings
- glass platform with vodka-treatment (pure alcohol (>90%) doesn't work)

What worked well:
- no raft, good stickiness;
- the top of the owl's head seems fine.

Some observed issues:
- perimeter-starts leave light bulges;
- overhangs could be better;
- errors at sharp corners in some parts of the owl (e.g. feathers)*

* these seem to have some resemblance to a statistically deviated errors. I suspect this is caused by some mechanical slack; the effects are therefore expected to be more pronounced during rapid change in directions.

Will follow Guillaume's advice to put some kapton tape on the slides to prove the above hypothesis ;) Will post the new print later on today - keeping fingers crossed.
Attachments
owl4.jpg
owl3.jpg
owl2.jpg
owl1.jpg

HLA

Post by HLA »

I recorded this video of the slack in the x-axis in my Felix printer. Unfortunately, I cannot recall whether this is a "factory-setting", or appeared later(*). It would be great if you could tell me whether you observe the same in your Felixes.

(*) My printer fell during transportation where a part of the extruder broke. The part was fixed, but I don't know whether more damage was caused...

Short video-clip of the x-axis slack: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7636517_2945689_6524779

Thanks!

black1q

Post by black1q »

I wanted to print the octopus, but the model dont work! I tried it several times with different settings but Skeinforge always produce an error. Has anyone else printed the Octopus?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Andrei (HLA): this is how much slop I have:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EvAi9BvJlw

Black1q: I'll try to print it today, but due to my unoptimised setup someone else also really should print it to show what Felix is capable of!

Guillaume: I use painters tape (not the blue but another I have told you about before) on Kapton. As you know my bed is quite warped (most likely caused by the major crash after the faulty firmware version).
lift.jpg
Although a really bad photo you can see the lifting in the front and along the right side. This caused the hot end to crash and loose some steps in the x-axis.

black1q

Post by black1q »

I dont understand whats going on, but the torture object also dont work.
I now try again the owl in high resulution to see if this is a problem with my computer.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I was able to start to print the octopus.

What error does it display? And what is your current software setup?