High quality prints

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

HLA

Re: High quality prints

Post by HLA »

Thanks for the video Kjetil. I now see that my slack is higher and hence needs adjustment. I will try to fix this asap in order to avoid any related issues with further prints.

@ Kjetilei: I had similar problems with the bed - it got warped (probably after the unfortunate transport accident) and was ruining my prints on a regular basis. I could recommend using the glass bed. You could also try a light sugar solution on your print bed which significantly increased the stickiness in my case. These two approaches combined allowed me to print mostly without raft. Did you also try increasing the temp of the first layer?

black1q

Post by black1q »

Sadly I did not write down the error and I dont find any version information in Pronterface. I now print the owl again with Oozebane activated and in 0.1 resolution ind ABS plastic, until now it looks perfect. I also reduced the temperature to 228° and raised the speed to 3250.
I will send the object to Guillaume before it is to late. Later I will take a look about the error again, I never had any problems with objects to load. Sadly the error apears at the end of the calculation which means that it takes half an hour only to know that it will not work. :(

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

HLA: I do believe that using a glass bed might be needed to get a "perfectly" level bed. I just haven't gotten around to find a source for the framless photo frame with clips. They where so easy to get 10-15 years ago but harder to find now... I will look into coating the bed too. I have not experimented with a different temperature on the first layer. Normally I print with 55 or 60 degrees.

black1q: Good luck with the print :) Not to brag but I get impatient if slicing takes more than a couple of minutes ;)

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I was able to print a couple of tests last night and today. I'm still experiencing problems with profile selection so I believe all objects where printed with the high quality profile. I'm experiencing more warping with this profile than the regular 0.25mm profile and will have too look into bed leveling.

Nautilus
Parts of the second wheel did not stick to the bed properly, resulting in angled teeths (not really visible in the photos) and the pins are a tiny bit too short so the parts does not snap together as securely as I would have liked.
nautilus.jpg
nautilus_2.jpg
Octopus
The octo was printed unattended and a tiny bit of one tentacle was longer than the painters tape and printed directly on the Kapton tape. This part did not stick to the tape longer than a couple of layers and warped afterwards but turned out quite ok. The last part most likely printed too fast resulting in discoloration (darker color).
octo.jpg
octo_2.jpg
octo_3.jpg
octo_4.jpg
octo_5.jpg
Snake
I have taken some better photos of the snake that warped when printing last night.
snake.jpg
snake_2.jpg
Note to self: don't use hobby knife to remove prints from hot bed... This is only two tiny drops from the resulting "blood bath". I had just pulled a troublesome wisdom tooth earlier today so I expect some wisdom actually was removed ;)
mayhem.jpg

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Nice looking octopus and nautulus wheels :)...It seems it takes blood sweat and tears to optimize print quality...I hope your recovery will be fast :)...
I've printed the octopus and snake and chesspiece both with the high quality profile. Up till now that is my favorite profile. The octopus came out awesome, it almost looks real with the transparent blue color.
Octo 1
Octo 1
Octo 2
Octo 2
Octo 3
Octo 3
Snake 1
Snake 1
Snake 2
Snake 2
I'm currently printing the nautulus wheels, only thing I have to print is the dreaded torture test.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Wow Guillaume!

The octopus looks incredible! And the snake doesn't look bad either!

At what temperatures are you printing these?

Finger is healing nicely. There was much more blood than I would have expected but it was a clean cut and hopefully will not get infected. It's not affecting me but I'm taking an early night now to rest my sore jawbone :)

I don't see the point in sending you my imperfect test pieces for inclusion in the package to MAKE. Your prints are much better :) Although you are the designer and vendor of Felix and is "expected to know how to fine-tune the printer" I believe that a regular customer will be able to come up with similar quality if the customer focus on setting up/fine tuning the printer for high quality prints. It's not done in one evening though... You have done your homework and the results show :)

black1q

Post by black1q »

Hi Guillaume,
I have to agree that Kjetilei is right with his opinion about the quality and the sending the objects. I tired to print the octopus and the torture object but both only result in an error, maybe my download was damaged because I never had a problem with any other objects. The quality of your objects is better than mine so you should send your objects but I thougt maybe it would be nice to see that a standard customer like me could also produce very good prints and that even in ABS, so I send my owl, printed in blue ABS, to you yesterday. I made two of those, one in 0.17 and one in 0.10 but the result was absolutely the same, I counted the layers on the head and they were equal, also the printing time even the software counts a different amount of layers, I dont understand why. I used Pronterface and Skeinforge, what kind of software did you use?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

black1q: Strange about the 0.17 and 0.10 prints ending up equal... Are you sure you saved the changes in Skeinforge? :)

Guillaume: Could you publish gcode versions of your prints so that black1q and others could have a go at it?

One area that you/we could look into is how to reduce the stringing on the 0.05mm and 0.1mm prints. Stringing is not such a big issue with the MAKE test models, but I believe it would be for some of the competitions that has been held on the reprap forum.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

black1q wrote:Hi Guillaume,
I have to agree that Kjetilei is right with his opinion about the quality and the sending the objects. I tired to print the octopus and the torture object but both only result in an error, maybe my download was damaged because I never had a problem with any other objects. The quality of your objects is better than mine so you should send your objects but I thougt maybe it would be nice to see that a standard customer like me could also produce very good prints and that even in ABS, so I send my owl, printed in blue ABS, to you yesterday. I made two of those, one in 0.17 and one in 0.10 but the result was absolutely the same, I counted the layers on the head and they were equal, also the printing time even the software counts a different amount of layers, I dont understand why. I used Pronterface and Skeinforge, what kind of software did you use?
I think the point of the review was indeed to see results of different users. I guess they need proof that it is not only the developer who can generate nice results. So I think it would still be great if you could send me your samples.

Strange that the results were the same of the owl, even if you altered the settings. Maybe it is getting the profiles from somewhere else?
I use repetier-host in combination with SFACT. Looking forward to the ABS results. And thanks for sending it to me!

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Kjetilei wrote:black1q: Strange about the 0.17 and 0.10 prints ending up equal... Are you sure you saved the changes in Skeinforge? :)

Guillaume: Could you publish gcode versions of your prints so that black1q and others could have a go at it?

One area that you/we could look into is how to reduce the stringing on the 0.05mm and 0.1mm prints. Stringing is not such a big issue with the MAKE test models, but I believe it would be for some of the competitions that has been held on the reprap forum.
For the 50um I indeed see some stringing especially for difficult features. For the 0.1mm however I haven't experienced it.

The stringing can be reduced by lowering the temperature, and probably also by altering the retraction settings.
What settings do you use for retraction? What are your observations for different settings?

See attached zipfile for sliced files I used for printing.
MAKE_testfiles_gcode_Guillaume.zip
MAKE_testfiles_gcode_Guillaume.zip
(18.04 MiB) Downloaded 51 times