Felix at MAKE's 3D Print Shop Weekend

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

danielkschneider

Make 3D Printer's guide - Felix pages

Post by danielkschneider »

Attached. The Felix didn't win a price but came out well.
Btw. I am surprised how well the Afina (aka UP!) did.

- Daniel

PS: I missed the "DIY experience" that was critized, and the article did not mention that one actually can avoid it by buying a fully assembled and tested version
Attachments
Make-mag-2013-p74-75.pdf
(251.61 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Make-mag-2013-p50-51.pdf
(227.7 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Thanks Daniel!

I tried to buy the issue as a PDF but couldn't find that option anywhere on MAKE's pages.

The results are somewhat weaker than I had hoped but I love my Felix and know that I made the right choice when I purchased it :)

I'm a little surprised that they only gave it 3/5 on print quality. I suspect that they might not have calibrated it optimally. How does the photos of the printed objects compare to the other machines?

And why only 3/5 on speed? 150mm/sec is speedy (although rarely used, if ever). I would think that 4/5 would be more correct. Could it be due to a .35 hot end instead of a .50 resulting in slower print times?

I suspect that the 1/5 on hardware user interface is due to no LCD/SD unit.

As long as 3D printers are prone to many different print problems I actually prefer the DIY experience since you are "forced" to get to know the printer :) Working with the printer now is a breeze compared to when I first built it :) But the instructions can be improved and some precutting/soldering of wires etc would make it easier to build. And maybe all RAMPS/steppers and hotends should be tested prior to shipping? At least as an option.

danielkschneider

There are not many pictures (attached the only ones I have seen) and precise evaluation criteria are not explained. If I understood right (didn't have time to read the whole thing), there is extra info on the web site with respect to these, but I couldn't find that (maybe they'll add it later)

http://blog.makezine.com/volume/make-ul ... -printing/

- daniel

PS:
* You can add your comments here: http://blog.makezine.com/review/make-ul ... felix-1-0/
* That's the last pdf I upload since there is copyright on such stuff. I treat like a citation ;)
Attachments
Make-mag-2013-p72-73.pdf
(299.82 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Thanks.

I can't understand why they didn't get the torture test to print correctly. It printed easily on my then badly calibrated setup and cheap China filament. It makes me believe they didn't discover the true potential of the 1.0 print quality.

danielkschneider

Say so :) I added my comments on their blog

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I found a link to buy a digital version (PDF): http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028390.do

Fast and simple. PDF nearly 50MB :)

The downside: I got to read/skim through the other reviews and I feel the Felix got undeserved low scores :(

Daniel: I'll add my comments :)