Why am I getting no help?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

JimBass

Why am I getting no help?

Post by JimBass »

I posted my problem in your forum close to two weeks ago and have received no help. Maybe you've all gone for holidays.

I purchased, assembled and used my printer about 10 months ago. It worked, but from then ‘till now I have been too busy with my job and had no time for it. The printer has been stored safely in fairly controlled indoor temperatures and I do not believe it has been bumped hard or damaged in any way. No children or dogs in the house. The CAD Program I was using produced useless .stl files and the computer used to take all day to slice a reasonably sized project. Now I have time, a better CAD system and a much faster computer so I’m ready to go. Unfortunately I can’t get the printer to work.

I installed Repetier Host (RH) in the new Windows 8 64 bit computer from the “setupRepetierHostFELIXPrinters_0_90.exe” file on your site. No slicing profiles seemed to be included in the installed program. So I copied the profiles from my old computer into the appropriate folder in the “Program Files\Repetier-Host-FELXPrinters\SFact\sfact\profiles” folder. That didn’t work, I got error messages saying that the program didn’t have permission to write to the folder. So, after wasting hours attempting to get the permissions right I ended up moving the Profiles to a folder on a different hard drive and re-set all the pointers in RH to that folder. This made the slicer work. At least it seems to.

However, the printer is not working.
Because the printer had not been run for 10 months, I thought that the Marlin program in it might have become corrupted so I installed the newest version in it for the FELIX 1.0 printer from your site “Firmware_Marlin_Felix_1_0_RevD_v3.zip”. This did not change anything. The symptoms are as follows…

Everything seems to work smoothly mechanically. The printer will Home itself (quick smooth & quietly) one axis at a time or all 3 at once but the “manual control” functions only on the Y Axis. No Matter where on the manual control arrows I click, The X and Z will only make the motor click. It may move one step or less at a time. When I click on the 10 or 50 mm parts of the arrow the log registers a 0.01 mm movement 2 or 3 times then a couple of bigger motions but the printer never seems to move at all. This does not generate any error messages in the log except when RH Thinks the value on that axis has exceeded the max allowed value or hit the end stop. The position changes in the “Manual Control” tab but not on the printer. I tried swapping the Polulus around. This did not make any difference. The problems stayed with the axis they were on before the swap.
However when I swapped the Y & Z Servo plugs in the RAMPS board suddenly all the servos ran (the Z axis is obviously set to different steps per mm but they ran). but when the servos are plugged back on their proper outputs I'm back with the same problem again. I measured the power supply voltage at 12.0 V

Also the Marlin EEEEPROM settings shown in RH are all at 0 and do not change when I click on "Restore factory settings". Do I need a file, or do I have a Pointer set wrong ? I could try typing in the correct values if I could find out what they are.

(I find this very bizarre because the Y axis works fine while the EEPROM settings say it is set to 0 steps per mm)

One more thing… the profiles now show up on the “Slicer” tab but not in the “Configure” dialogue and I am attaching a screen shot of the sfact settings

I am hoping you have some idea or at least a couple of things to try. I am not sure if the problem is in the electronics, the soft, or firm ware but as I said the machine does move to home smoothly.

Help will be appreciated

Jim

killejano

Post by killejano »

How about you old pc? Do you stil have it? If the printer woks with it the the promlem is with win8

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Yeah... where do I start... I'll start by saying I'm just a user as you...
I understand your frustration... (I have 2 or 3 posts with questions unanswered - were urgent at the time, and a couple of "knowledge donations" with indifference as gratitude)
I guess the printer kit comes "as is" and you are responsible for getting it to work (sometimes it's fun, sometimes it sucks!). This forum exists, but there is no guarantee of official support or even a reply at all (that sucks too).

Unfortunately, I can't help you.. :-( since I moved on from the interface you are using...
I can suggest that you avoid SFACT altogether (tedious, outdated, slooow). I use KISSlicer (It's OK) to slice with the settings from Lioric (> search forum)
To communicate with the printer I use RepetierServer on a RaspberryPi (> I posted a walkthrough of how to do this on this forum)
I have a Felix 2.0 and I never updated the firmware.

May the Felix forum gods have mercy on your soul!
Godspeed...
Felix 2.0

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Jim, send a M120 in the manual g-code command-line and then try to move the axis again. (write "M120" in the text box just above the axis arrows, and click send).

hoolito is right, move away (really away) from SFACT, and go with Kisslicer. The settings I posted for the Felix printer already generates the correct g-code, including the m120 right after homing all axes (G28)

seaton

Post by seaton »

I can also attest to using Kisslicer, much faster and simple to use, only downside it it doesn't integrate into the repieter host.
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

JimBass

Post by JimBass »

Thanks Lioric, seaton, killejano, hoolito,
By using the m120 command and KisSlicer I have the thing almost working.
It is still wandering (skipping steps) on the x axis though.
I don't know what to do about the X axis. The pulley is tight, the carriage seems free. I have adjusted the belt as loose as I think I should (without skipping teeth or having too much slop. When I hold my finger against the pulley while it is running I can feel & hear it occasionally "bump" as it skips a step.

when I run code generated by sfact nothing moves now. I suspect this is a setup issue ... anyone know where the steps per mm info is supposed to be stored & exactly what it is?

Again.... Thank you!!

seaton

Post by seaton »

If its skipping steps with the correct belt tension etc, then you need to adjust the pot for the stepper driver on the main board for the axis in question, it's not getting enough current.
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

steps per mm are not stored, they are "set in stone" in the firmware (unless you have overridden them via the eprom, but apparently you have not modified that). They are in the config.h file if I remember correctly

anyway, if you "insist" on using SFACT, after you slice a two file, I. The g-code editor tab, find the "G28" and insert a line with just "M120" right after that

JimBass

Post by JimBass »

Lioric & all:

I am using Kisslicer .... just trying to understand the system. The printer seems to be working fine now.

By the way I've seen in a couple of places that the the trim pots on the polulus are supposed to be set at 0.4V ( I have fooled around with them a bit ) and I know that if turned up too high the motors make a lot of noise and act spastic.

After working on it all day yesterday, I've actually got the thing running fine and it's in the middle of a big print right now when it's done, I'm going to check that voltage to see if I can run things faster WO skipping steps.

Thanks for all your help. I wouldn't have been able to get it working without you.

Jim

JimBass

Post by JimBass »

I forgot to tell you all that the skipping was primarily caused by the x axis polulu overheating ... it's the farthest one from the fan. I took the lid off, noticed it was hot, and re-placed the lid loosely on top. This improved the airflow enough that the problem went away. This is in the 1.0 vesion with a SMALL brain box stuffed with wires.
I guess my next project will be a lid with a big fan in it.
Jim