Repetier-Host has encountered a user-defined breakpoint....

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Lioric

Re: Repetier-Host has encountered a user-defined breakpoint.

Post by Lioric »

Before switching arduinos, make sure there is not an issue with the actual hardware port.

If you have played with arduinos, Im sure you know how to talk directly with the ardu mega via a terminal app, (250000 8N1) just send the g-codes and review the ack messages that it returns (ok, rs, !!)

The repetierhost app even have a "send comamnd" if you prefer, and just activate the "ACK" and "Commands" log options and you will see if the ardu mega is actually responding to your op codes and if the thermsistor is working

Or just read the resistance of the thermsistor at the shield pins when hot

kennethagiusmosta

Post by kennethagiusmosta »

Hi to all,

I've formatted my pc and re-installed every single file.
Started a new print, this time after an hour,the pc shutted itself. Well I'm assuming that my pc has a hardware problem (motherboard, PSU or hell knows what!) so I'm using another one...

Well let's say this below it's my first successful print
DSCN0300.jpg
DSCN0301.jpg
Later on today, I'll try a longer 3 hour print.... If everything goes well I'll upload it to youtube.

Keep you informed

Thanks

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

kennethagiusmosta: Hurray for your first successful print!

Is your bed unleveled? Looking at the outer line it seems like the filament has lifted several times due to too much distance on the left in the photo and being pushed down on the right side. The output also seems uneven (closest to the viewer).

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

baby steps

Don't try a 3 hours print if you don't even know what to expect or how the printer will behave. You will need to experiment first with small objects, see how the first layer affects the whole print, experiment with rafts and brim, support material, learn about temps, calibrate your machine to your exact filament, learn about warping and curling and how bed temp works in relation to that

In the current state of 3d printing, you need to first get to know all the rough edges and learn how to better print objects in a case by case basis

Jumping into multihours printing right from the start probably is not the best thing to do (obviously if that is what you want to do or have the experience then go ahead, this is just a suggestion)

HLA

Post by HLA »

@kennethagiusmosta:

Congratulations to your first print. I remember very well the first time my 3D printer printing: it seemed like pure magic happening in front of my eyes :D

I would agree with Lioric that getting your Felix all calibrated and prepared for all the kilograms of PLA (or ABS) that it will transform into real things is a smart things to do. You will also learn a lot about the entire chain of 3D printing including seeing the issues with your printer by observing the output.

Nevertheless, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't have fun while doing this. If your printer is able to produce any more-or-less reasonable output, then go ahead and print something you like from thingiverse. Maybe not a too complex/large model, but enough to enjoy it. You could eg decide to spent 50% of your printing time on calibration objects, and the rest on the fun things (which are also good for calibrating). Post your pictures in forum and someone will definitely give some advice ;)

kennethagiusmosta

Hi to all,

HLA & Lioric, you are 100% correct. Your suggestions are gold.

As ditto, I used a second PC, more powerful & freshly formatted
...but Murphy's law got it's best

a) Had to download updates for Repetier
---Internet connection failed. Had to wait for about an hour and restart updates

b) Started a printing job
---PC overheats and stops. Cleaned it. Had to restart a 2hr job when it only needed 10 min to finish

c) Camera batteries fail.
---Bought a set of 4 which, by the way, didn't work. Had to re-buy another set

d) Extension cord surge. Guess what was pluged in it?
---Had it for a long time- years! Plug a fan & switched of everthing in the house. Had to restart

e) Filament got jammed. Burned myself too.
--- Solved in half an hour.

I must be the one of the most unfortunate guy ever!

Ready to print again
GO...........
Printing the first layer
YEAH............
Repetier stops responding
WAW.................

Well, it was then that I decided to drop that "Octopus" and change subject to be more appropriate for this occasion

My first successful (OFFICIAL) print, well beyond that pathetic sort of sqaure. Photos below.
DSCN0362.jpg
DSCN0358.jpg
Now I need to tune-up the machine for better performance
I'll post videos on youtube asap.

Thanks guys, your support is very valuable.
Kenneth

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

LOL, that's an appropriate print :) for the occasion indeed. Do you have the STL file for it?

I notice from your picture that you have a lot of stringing. What slicer are you using? And what temperature are you using?

kennethagiusmosta

Hi Gfeliksdal,

The STL file was downloaded from Thingiverse, copy of which is attached below;
The_Horns_fixed.stl
(7.35 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
I used Slic 3r.
Temp settings; bed 66 and extruder 211.

For my next print, the same one, I'll be using Sfact with lower temp settings. I guess I'll use 63 for the bed and 205 for the extruder. Photos will follow.

I'll recheck bed clearance just to be sure. My feeler gauge is just a plain A4 paper as you suggested on the manual. I believe a dial gauge is more appropriate in this case. I need to design some sort of bracket and stick it on the printer's head. The dial gauge has to be just under the x axis so not to deflect the head under it's own tension. What should be the perfect clearance to aim for? 0.35mm, 0.20mm? Do I need to change parameters in the slicer?

I noticed in this same forum that there is an ebay product (just under $50) that can be attached to the Ramps so that the printer can run autonomously (without PC). What do you think about it?

Another last question- is it possible that you can send me the G-code or STL file so to able to reprint the extruder? I broke the filament bracket (mainly by inexperience). Fixed it with glue but I like to print one for spare just to be sure.

Thanks
Kenneth.

Ps : To all guys in the forum, be free to send your suggestions and comments or whatever you like to say in how can I improve printing quality. Please be welcome :)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Thanks for the STL!

Kjetil made an addon for the printer to adjust the height. http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... p?f=9&t=22

For the extruder, would you mind trying this prototype I've posted in this forum. It's a simpler and in my opinion more advanced version compared to the current one.
http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... p=568#p568