Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
HeliR@D

Felix 2.0 Endstop Failure at home position

Post by HeliR@D »

Felix 2.0
Problems :
Z axis travels past the opto sensor when pressing Home Z
X axis travels past the opto sensor when pressing Home X

All opto sensors are working in accordance with the manual and board. Test results show that the LED on the felix 2.0 Board is illuminated until an object is place into the opto sensor vain, at which point the LED turns off. All wiring on both the opto sensors and the Felix 2.0 Board are in accordance with the felix 2.0 assembly manual. The Y axis Homes perfectly fine, The platform stops at the opto sensor.

Any help on these matters would be great.

Is it possible that this is a software issue?
Thanks

satoer

Post by satoer »

Have you used tip-ex of other paint to make the X switching-arm less transparent?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

HeliR@D

Post by HeliR@D »

Thanks for the reply Satoer

I have used both duct tape and electrical tape on all the xyz veins. Both types of tape make the opto sensor LED shut off when just the tape is placed into the veins. I am guessing the next best thing would be to paint switching arm black. When all the end stop switching arms are in the opto sensor veins all the opto sensor LED lights shut off, however the stepper motors do not stop at the desired position.
I also noticed that my V2.1 board differs slightly from the assembly manual board on page 39 bottom left image. The stepper motor drives have 1B 1A 2B 2A for their wiring circuit board layout. Whereas the board I received has the stepper motors drive wires laid out as per 1B 1A 2A 2B. Could there be something wrong with the new Felix printer V2.1 Board?

kimmoli

Post by kimmoli »

There has been lots of other threads with opto-issues,
one fix was that the wiring is different to the documentation vs the actual sensors (there is two different type sensors)
http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... 3288#p3288

another was that the wire was stripped too short, it made bad connection.
http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... 3166#p3170

I did also notice that the screw terminal pin soldered to the board might come loose if you tighten the screw too hard - this was case with the Felix 1.5 power wire connectors - had to resolder them.

For me it was enough to use black permanent marker to get optos to work fine.

Hope you get your printer up-and-printing!

xvean

Post by xvean »

HeliR@D wrote:Thanks for the reply Satoer

I have used both duct tape and electrical tape on all the xyz veins. Both types of tape make the opto sensor LED shut off when just the tape is placed into the veins. I am guessing the next best thing would be to paint switching arm black. When all the end stop switching arms are in the opto sensor veins all the opto sensor LED lights shut off, however the stepper motors do not stop at the desired position.
I also noticed that my V2.1 board differs slightly from the assembly manual board on page 39 bottom left image. The stepper motor drives have 1B 1A 2B 2A for their wiring circuit board layout. Whereas the board I received has the stepper motors drive wires laid out as per 1B 1A 2A 2B. Could there be something wrong with the new Felix printer V2.1 Board?
I had the same issue as well and after swapping 2A and 2B axis start moving toward sonsor when i press homing from repetier software. But still i have problem related with sensors. Although the opto sensor leds on my main board is seems like working(they normally on while nothing between opto sensors, they become off when i insert something between sensors), but no sign of work on leds on opto enstop SMD v2.2 board, they are always off. I checked wiring according to manual and board top overlay they are correct on both sensor and main board sides.

xvean

Post by xvean »

xvean wrote:
HeliR@D wrote:Thanks for the reply Satoer

I had the same issue as well and after swapping 2A and 2B axis start moving toward sonsor when i press homing from repetier software. But still i have problem related with sensors. Although the opto sensor leds on my main board is seems like working(they normally on while nothing between opto sensors, they become off when i insert something between sensors), but no sign of work on leds on opto enstop SMD v2.2 board, they are always off. I checked wiring according to manual and board top overlay they are correct on both sensor and main board sides.

After some more work, we found that VCC of opto enstop SMD v2.2 is about 3 V when its connected, but when we remove the sensor board totally VCC is metered as 12 V, after some search about opto enstop SMD v2.2 we found that it should be supplied with stable 5 V to work correctly. So we gived its power not from its connector, but from the pin supplying fan with 5 V. After this hardware change sensors start working. At this point we faced with another problem while homing operation. although X and Z axis worked fine on Y axis there is something strange. When we press home Z it moves away from opto sensor alittle and stops. For today i cannot force more, but it seems there are really big problems with Felix Board V2.1.

Jampac

Post by Jampac »

This was exactly my issue here: Felix 2.0 with FelixPrinters V2.1 board. The opto sensors are not getting they required 5V so they provide a 'endstop reached' message to the CPU - although the LEDs on the board itself are providing the 'correct' visuall feedback but this is different of what the CPU receives.

I also forked of 5V from the fan and provided it to the 3 red wires supplying the opto sensors and - problem solved! I now finally could calibrate (X,Y and Z).

The printed desctiption fo rthe stepper motors that have changes from FelixPrinters 2.0 to 2.1 are confusing but a unipolar stepper motor does not care about this so it works here or using the 2.0 assembly manual on the 2.1 board.

Again to the above (opto sensor) issue - the V2.1 board needs this power supply problem (3V instead 5V) fixed - or at least the manual needs tro point to the above additional soldering steps (supplying 5V fromt he fan).

Other than that - it's now printing!

Thank Felix!

Cheers
Morten / Canberra / Australia

bhavesh3e

Post by bhavesh3e »

Hi all,
I am also facing the same problem with opto sensor ...
In your solution you have mention to connect the opto sensor supply to the 5V fan supply.
But I have to use 12V for Fan supply to solve the Jamming problem of extruder (link of the same: http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... volt#p2878)

Now my question is as follow
Is there any pin/port/point on the felix PCB board from where I can get 5 volt supply ?? (other then FAN supply)
Please do reply :roll:

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

OK after a few hours mucking around, I have stepper motor 2A and 2B wires. Now the X axis goes Left when you choose the -X button.

I have also powered the opto sensor for the X axis from the fan to give it the required 5V. The sensor now seems to work when I manually block it.

So where should the home position be? Should it be at the opposite end of the opto sensor?

I set it to the opposite of the sensor. When I then hit the +X button a few times and move the extruder all the way towards the sensor, it will go past the sensor and hot the end. The sensor doesn't seem to do anything?
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

OK so, the home position is at the opto sensors and the limit of travel is configured in the printer properties in Repeiter Host. That now makes sense.

Above they mention that the stepper motor wires need to be swapped. I eventually found that you do NOT need to swap these around. Follow the colour codes in the manual.

I had to buy some of these http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZD1901 and replace the sensors on the opto boards. Seems the Version 2.1 of the main board of mine has the wrong voltage and can kill the sensors.

All working now. Fantastic printer; having heaps of fun!

Ben
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)