Felix 2.0 Endstop Failure at home position

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
dsarmiento

Re: Felix 2.0 Endstop Failure at home position

Post by dsarmiento »

I had the same problems in several opto sensors. My recommendations are the following:

- The opto sensors need 5V estable.
- Don't use the fan ports because of possible excesive current drain.
- Connect the red cables from the opto sensors (VCC) to the 5V port from the mainboard. This port is the one where the Purple cable from the power supply is connected (it is labeled as 5V and I think is the Standby power).

After making these changes, using a multimeter in DC mode, measure the voltage in opto sensors between GND and VCC, it have to be nearly 5V. Then measure the voltage between GND and SIG when the optosensor is not activated (when the vane is not touching it). It have to measure less than 2.3V. This voltage (2.3V) is the limit between logic 0 and 1 that the Arduino circuits (ATMEGA) recognize. If it measures more than 2.3V, the opto sensor will not work properly and I recommend to change it.

mknippen

Post by mknippen »

Seems like I am having the same issue.

Two of mine are putting out 12V instead of 5V. It fried my sensors. Really sucks too because I just got my kit and now Im going to have to wait to get new parts. Anyone know a cheap way to make one from parts at Radioshack?

Really wish they would have fixed the 2.1 board. Seems like many people are having issues with it, and have been for months.

mairas

Post by mairas »

dsarmiento wrote:I had the same problems in several opto sensors. My recommendations are the following:

- The opto sensors need 5V estable.
- Don't use the fan ports because of possible excesive current drain.
- Connect the red cables from the opto sensors (VCC) to the 5V port from the mainboard. This port is the one where the Purple cable from the power supply is connected (it is labeled as 5V and I think is the Standby power).
I was struggling with a non-functional x-axis sensor on my new Felix 3.0. The led would turn off just fine but no signal for the mcu. So, I connected the opto sensor red wires to the purple 5 V port. After turning the power on, the opto sensors one by one snapped loudly and let out the smoke. How annoying.

I wonder what might've gone wrong? I'm fairly ok with electronics and definitely didn't do anything stupid.

Cheers,

Matti