Felix 2.0 opto sensors in kit not working

Discussions about the electronics
nosomis

Felix 2.0 opto sensors in kit not working

Post by nosomis »

Hi,

The opto endstops just supplied in my kit arent working.
Everything is connected ok. When on and connected there is 6.5 volts on the vcc/gnd.
Without any connection there is 12 volt on the main board. The green led lights up and stays on.
If I pass a black object between the sensor groove, nothing happens. All three sensors are the same.
Is this a problem and how do I test the sensor, how do I test the main board output.

Please help.

Danny-Lelystad

Post by Danny-Lelystad »

Hi, please look very good at the optosensors. There are different types deliverd. According the manual you should connect the wires in order: Red, Black, Yellow. But i know there are sensors where the signal is in the middle. See attatched picture, thats the one from the manual. I don't have picture from the other type optosensors, i can post them by monday.

Wires at the optosensors should be connected like this:
red at VCC
black at GND
yellow at SIG
Attachments
Opto sensor different type, Red Yellow, Black
Opto sensor different type, Red Yellow, Black
Knipsel5.PNG (413.22 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Opto sensor wires connected, Red, Black, Yellow
Opto sensor wires connected, Red, Black, Yellow
Knipsel.PNG (107.15 KiB) Viewed 600 times

nosomis

Post by nosomis »

Thanks Danny, that was very helpful.
I did finally work it out by myself and now the sensiors work.
The only problem is that the leds on the sensors no longer work.

Guilame how do I fix this ?????

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi nosomis,
The led on the pcb of the opto-sensors should burn very dim. This is because the circuit on the opto-sensor itself is also present at the electronics board. So the power is distributed over two leds instead of one. We did this, because we wanted to eliminate the pcb board of the opto-sensor, but unfortunately due to lack of time, we still use this solution.

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

I had the same problem and have changed the wires around. All the wires to the sensors look OK at both ends.

However I still have odd behaviour.

The sensors are either getting 3 or 9 volts.

For the ones that get 9 volts, the LED on the main board is unlit and the LED on the sensor is lit. If I put something in the sensor, the light remain the same.

For the ones with 3 volts the LED on the main board is lit and the sensor LED is unlit. If I put something in the sensor the LED on the main board will go out (the LED on the sensor remain unlit).

Also I can move all my motors in only one direction.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

So the main board is still a problem. I have powered the sensors from the main fan power supply.

I also had to buy new optical sensors, de-solder the old ones and solder in new ones. Seems that the voltage problem on the main board caused the optical sensors to die.
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)