No control after "Home" button (solved)

wdieckmann

No control after "Home" button (solved)

Post by wdieckmann »

I also got stuck with the 3rd step of the Instruction Manual at chapter 13.3.

If I press one of the X/Y/Z home buttons, the axis moves to the opto-sensors without stopping there. Even when hitting them, they keep moving.
And no other command (including emerging stop) is working then, I have to remove the usb cable.

Any clue how to solve this?
Last edited by wdieckmann on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Did you connected the optosensors at the negative dir on the RAMPS shield? It sounds as it were connected to the other dir

If you put a piece of paper manually in the optosensor, what does the led do?

Put an axis on the center of its travel (with the hand) move to the positive direction in long travel steps (10 or 100) via RepetierHost, right after it starts to move put the piece of paper activating the sensor, does it stop and RepetierHost's log shows any message?

suraki

Post by suraki »

Quick check w/o external SW use:
Move all axes by hand. If the sensor is not closed, the green led must be light. If the axis limiter is reached the sensor, the green light turn off.
Are you uploaded the latest Firmware and use the newest Repetier-Host version?

aikx

Post by aikx »

Additional: 11 Finishing touches;
4. When you have a printer with a shining through color, the opto-sensors of the axes might not work. To make them work you can put one of the following things on the switching vanes....

wdieckmann

Post by wdieckmann »

Thanks to all for the fast replies and good advice.
Indeed I missed the paper test for the opto-sensors. Althoug my color is blue and I applied dark nail polish, it was not dark enough.
Now on pressing home, all axis go to the end, move a bit back and go to the end again. Hope that's fine? Although I wonder why the emergency stop did not work, I regard the problem as solved.
Next is that the z-Axis does not want to leave the sensor anymore, the x-Achsis stepper starts ticking and the heatsinks are getting extremely hot. But I think I saw something like this in another topic.

suraki

Post by suraki »

wdieckmann wrote:...
Next is that the z-Axis does not want to leave the sensor anymore, the x-Achsis stepper starts ticking and the heatsinks are getting extremely hot. But I think I saw something like this in another topic.
Maybe you need set the stepper controllers. Guillaume wrote precisely in this topic what should do:
http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... ?f=14&t=42
Set the controller at leftmost position (counter clockwise) and turn very small (clockwise) steps (with 1.8mm regular screwdriver) to find the correct amount of power. Be careful, you will feel the two end points of the potmeter.
Good luck and a lot of patience. ;)

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Yes, when and optosensor is reached the axis will back a little (5mm) and forward at a slower speed until it is set. That is part of the self calibration of the machine

The e-stop didn't work because of the way the firmware (the electronics in that little box ;) ) works, the communication is synchronous serial, that means that every command needs to be acknowledge by the machine first before the next is sent by the host (a little more than that with the buffers, but basically that is how it works) so if the end sensors are not working and you send the axis to the "home" mode, it will continue looking for the sensor, if it is not working then it will continue looking for it until 21 December of 2012, and any command (as the e-stop you send later) will be buffered and not executed before the "home" is found

For the Z Axis, is it working when not in the home position?

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

I too have this issue running Repetier Host on Mac 0.32

Sometimes the printer does not respond to manual control. A lot of messing eventually make's it all work!! very frustrating!! Generally I hit 'Stop Motor' move the axis by hand, hit home and I regain control.

Though I have a theory that the Mac version of the software is generally not as well developed or tested so will try the PC version....see if i have the same issues others have

:)

aikx

Post by aikx »

Repetier Host on Mac 0.32
I don´t see any problems! Did you hit the "Fake OK" Buttons first?
A new command doesn´t interrupt the running one. So you have to wait a moment.

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Nope didn't use the 'Fake OK' button! :(

What exactly is it's functionality as I can't find much about it?

(ps. also not receiving emails about forum replies...anybody know how to enable that?) edit: found out how to enable the emails! hope it works now!