Identifying The Cheapest 2012 fitflop korea Bargain

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

superhornet59

Re: Identifying The Cheapest 2012 fitflop korea Bargain

Post by superhornet59 »

Why do we getting so much spam in this forum?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

The forum software (to my knowledge) does not include (enough) anti-spam logic. Also it is easy to register and then start posting spam soon after (labour is cheap many places i the world).

Today the moderation of spam in the forum is largely a one man operation (me). I delete whenever I visit the forums and see spam posts or reports of spam. With more moderators (any volunteers if Guillaume allows it?) the problem would not be that visible.

Luckily the spam posts receive few views and many times are deleted shortly after being published. Also this kind of spamming is not any longer effective for manipulating Google's PageRank logic. I keep asking myself why the spammers bother spamming this forum for this reason. I believe the return of investment must have been zero for the spammers, and has only contributed to wasted time and money...

superhornet59

Post by superhornet59 »

Wow, that's pretty profound. I guess they will stop sending out spam once the money stops coming in. Anyway, no biggie, I was just curious if it would make the site vulnerable to an attack, which might delete all of our accumulated threads/images. However spammers aren't exactly hackers, so there's no real connection.

kimmoli

Post by kimmoli »

There are commercial channels to add advertisements to web pages which are willing to show them,
then there are those people/companies who don't want to pay even that dime for the advertisement and use forum-spamming to advertise their stuff - and there is always someone who clicks the link - mission accomplished.

Kjetilei, does the reports go to you? i.e. if i click the Report this post -button you are being spammed?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Yes. There are many reasons for forum spamming and I know that it's really a numbers game - if you spam enough there is a chance of luring some poor fellow into your honey pot trap. But we all know that no user on this forum of really intelligent people (a proven fact since we/you own Felix printers ;)) would be lured by spam, so the spammers efforts are futile :)

I don't get email reports when you report spam - it only shows up as a report icon in the thread overview and in the moderator interface. I appreciate it when you report spamming, since it makes it easier to identify spamming, so please keep the reports coming - or you could offer Guillaume to help out by becoming moderators :)