Prettiest Felix?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

stratogavster

Prettiest Felix?

Post by stratogavster »

Was given a nudge by Guillaume to upload a few images of my super-neat Felix build....he was suitably impressed :)

Not quite complete yet but you can see the direction i'm going :)

Any comments welcomed!!
1a.jpg
2a.jpg
3a.jpg

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

hahaha, not even close ;)

Just wait until I get the camera working again and you can edit that thread's subject

*BTW, nice details ;)

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

My pretty (awful) looking printer ;) :
Preeetty!
Preeetty!
Where do I collect the prize?

Nah! Who am I kidding ;) I will soon be finished with the rebuild and it should look much cleaner then (but will not win any prizes with it's differently colored parts)...

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Mine looked like that for more than 2 weeks, wire spagehetti :P

It was hard work getting that sleeving on I can tell you :S

Looking forwards to seeing other folks ideas on keeping this machine looking neat!! :)

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I bet it was hard getting the sleeving on!
I have some sleeving waiting but newer bothered with it when I first built it :( I hope I will this time!
PS: How many of you cut the cables to length? I never did in case I later would do a redesign requiring longer cables. Makes for a birds nest besides the PSU though...

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

I tried to calculate the cable lengths as I knew i'd be adding braided sleeving but got it a bit wrong and i've got some excess cable length that i'm going to have huge trouble in hiding away!

I think a careful hand to disassemble the connectors is required and a re-crimp :(

The tiny RAMPS enclosure is not great for wiring plus I think the overall mechanical design of the RAMPS electronics is pretty poor generally. Really messy wiring setup on that PCB and the heat sink situation leaves a LOT to be desired!

One desire I do have to make things neater and prettier and also easy for repairs are steppers with sockets on!

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Thought i'd post an update since i've made progress after banishing my faulty RAMPS and Arduino!!

Firstly had failed to mention I gave the heated bed some special treatment in 'neatness' during the initial build (blue tape was just to hold wires while silicone cured).

Since the rewire and partial rebuild i've neatened things up again as best as possible with the current layout and design

Also in the name of durability i've added high-temp teflon sleeving to the thermocouple wires on the hot end...

Next in pursuit of neatness and attractiveness.....hide as many wires as possible and maybe use inline connectors to aid serviceability.

:)
teflon tubing.jpg
Extruder wiring.jpg
other wiring.jpg
Bed wiring.jpg

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Neat :)

What is the ID of the teflon sleeving you used?

I'm still waiting for the connectors I plan to use for easy serviceability (I received the "plan B" 4mm bullet connectors today).

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Teflon tubing used on my thermistor wires is:

Alphawire TFT20018 Natural / Teflon Tubing Thin Wall - 1.07mm

Can be found at Farnell order number 1747890 - It's VERY expensive!! though as I live very close to Farnell HQ I picked it up in their trade counter 'bargain corner' just like most the stuff I have :P

http://uk.farnell.com/alpha-wire/tft200 ... tt=1747890

I have over 300m of this stuff.....actually may sell it off as i'd never use it!!

Also have Teflon tubing on my filament feed

Farnell order number 1191050 - 3.15mm

http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/stfe9-5 ... tt=1191050

Don't have as much of this though...only 10m!...only :P

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Lucky bastard ;)

Found 5 FT .9MM ID Teflon tube on ebay for $2.30 incl. shipping. Link