Mods, increasing accuracy and business ventures!

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

twicx

Mods, increasing accuracy and business ventures!

Post by twicx »

Hello everyone!

So I've a couple of questions regarding modding my 1.5. It won't quite be a 1.5 > 2.0 set of mods. More like a 1.5.1 :P.

Firstly, heated print bed. I'm going to invest in a cut piece of glass, partly because I think there's about a 0.5mm bend in the metal plate/bed, and I'm hoping this will help fix that. I'm guessing that I might be wise to go with a pretty thin piece of glass (I know this place does 2mm, possibly thinner), and secure it to the bed with something like bulldog clips so there's space to expand. Am I also correct in saying that I'll need to slightly increase the bed temperature to account for the glass?

Secondly, Z-Coupling. There's a place near me that has tonnes of these. I was looking at one that's a bit longer than the one I have. I think it measures approx 40mm high. Thing is, it's not like the one I have, where one end is threaded. Instead, it's smooth on both ends, but the diameters match up to both the threaded rod and the motor shaft. Only difference is that it's got one of those tightening screws to fix it. Ideas/opinions on this? should be ok, right?

Next up is the big one, the Z axis itself. So, I know that on the felix download page there's the STL for the 2.0 carriage part, but it seems to be just the upper part of it. So what's the deal with the lower part? I know the 2.0 has a smaller Z linear bearing than the 1.5, but is the lower part of the carriage much different? Is it downloadable anywhere?

Last but not least, it's a thing with the slicing profiles I think. Is there a way in that to increase the accuracy easily? I think this would be maybe to do with the layer height or something, but I wouldn't really know where to start on this.

twicx

Post by twicx »

little update:
Since getting the smaller part of the 2.0 carriage printed, I've encountered the first issue. Apart from not having the stl/gcode for the 2.0 bigger carriage part, I'm going to need to design/print 2 pieces anyway. One that will be a new replacement Z motor bracket, which will fix the z motor to the steel frame slightly further out from the steel frame. The reason for this is why i need the second part.
The second part I need to figure out is what I've been referring to on little sketches I'm using as my Z-Rail Bracket.
So I'm hoping that either someone has, or I can somehow get my hands on, the 2.0 bigger carriage part, either the physical part, or gcode. HOWEVER, even with this, I don't have the relavent Z linear bearing rail. I'm still using the 1.5 rail system. This isn't a problem as far as I can see. The plan is make this Z-Rail Bracket, which is basically an adapter to link the two carriage parts to the 1.5 style of rail. I figure I could make it maybe 3-5mm thick, and it would probably be strong enough to support the carriage if it had enough material to it.

I know this seems like a lot of effort just to make the carriage more inline with the threaded spindle, but I think it'll help with some of the Z wobble I can't get rid of. Plus, mods are fun!

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I can really recommend dumping the old linear guide for the Z axis, and getting the 2.0 replacement from Guillaume. The Igus rail has too much play to eliminate Z-wobble, so if your alignment is just a little bit off, it will have it. The Hiwin rail is so much stiffer that you no longer need perfect alignment, but still get ZERO z-wobble.

satoer

Post by satoer »

Don't forget the new spindle with the bronze nut! Great update (included in de V2 update):)
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

twicx

Post by twicx »

hmmm.... so maybe I'd actually just be better off getting the 2.0 upgrade pack from guillaume, and maybe that new version hot end too. Still need to figure out how to increase detail/accuracy. Can that be done with something like Kisslicer even?

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

I can't complain about detail/accuracy.
You need to calibrate your printer especally the extrusion makes the difference.
Someone posted an link here which helped me a lot
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... /?ALLSTEPS

Doesn't really matter which Slicer you are using, just the parameters and calibration make the difference.
There are several posts which also include configuration files.
I started with Sfact and now using KISSlicer (Pro version) as I like the easier user interface.
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

twicx

Post by twicx »

that's not the problem I'm having, it's with Z wobble. I replaced the threadded rod yesterday, and it helped a lot, but it's still there (looks like you have some too, by the way.) I'm thinking of getting the upgrade to 2.0, cos the more centred z axis would do it if its set up right. But the other upgrades i'm going to do are easy enough, like a glass heating bed, and satoer's extruder.

satoer

Post by satoer »

The 2.0 update with the new Hiwinn bearing, spindle and direct coupling eliminated the effect of Z-wobbeling completely with mine Felix. Not only the better components disables Z-wobbling, also the new design. The spindle is now parallel in front of the Z-bearing. So if there's a bit of Spindle wobbling, the forcers are eliminated by the more rigid design.

I've had serious wobbling problems with the 1.5. The main cause was the aluminum coupling not exactly aligned with the motor shaft and spindle. Inspect closely the shaft just above the coupling while running the Z motor... Does it wobble? If yes, you can try to eliminate this wobble by loosen the nut that locks the spindle on the coupling. Turn the spindle a bit in or out of the coupling and retighten the nut. Check again, and repeat until you found a perfect spot. It's a trial and error tuning, but it did resolve some of the wobbling with mine Felix 1.5.

satoer

Post by satoer »

I even designed a wobble eliminator on the Felix 1.5:
_DSC3651-edit-1200.jpg
_DSC3648-edit-1200.jpg
_DSC3658-edit-1200.jpg
With this the X and Y can move freely on the spindle. And it worked. But... Although every axes was made with bearings and completely without play, due to the longer arm it did had some springiness. This resulted that small hops over printed parts where eliminated. Made this complete mod useless and I considered this project a failed one.

twicx

Post by twicx »

satoer, I've a few ideas on this myself, I'm just about to send you a pm about it. the de-wobbler looks good though!