New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end V5

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Bachgassenbande

Re: New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end

Post by Bachgassenbande »

@alanh
Just running a week with the new design; so just about 100h of printing.
Have hade only one issue in the first few h printing; my gear cutted the filament because of too much tension. I'm running right now with really low tension (can move both screws easely by hand and still have no issue with too less tension).
For me it seems that I need less tension than as with the original design ?!?!

Have had only on clogging event after installing the comlete new nozzle; nozzle too close to bed and was scratching the hair spray from glass bed and clogged then (this is right now the only way how to clogg the E3D Nozzle for me right now)
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

alanh

Post by alanh »

@Bachgassenbande

Thanks for the reply.

I'm also running with very little tension which is why I think occasionally the pinion wheel slips on the filament when the reel becomes cross-tangled. This distorts the filament and by the time it gets to the hotend it jams and causes the pinion wheel on the extruder to slip even more and causing it to tear the sides of the filament with no chance of extruding from then on.

I have to manually pull the filament out, cut, and re-thread new filament to get to normal.

I've been manually turning the filament reel just to release the pressure of pulling from a full reel so there's filament turned off the reel to help with it and it seems to be working well now.

So I may need to put some elaborate cog system together to help turn the filament reel when the extruder pinion turns :-)

satoer

Post by satoer »

Strange... I actually don't notice a lot of difference between the pressure settings on the bearing. Made a lot of prints already. And haven't encountered any troubles like striping filament or clogged extruders. Maybe because I'm using the large (probably stronger) Nema 17 that came with the Felix 1.5?

I've done some really complex prints. Print's before now I considered undoable. Like these characters from the game Bioshock infinite (trailer):

Songbird:
BI Songbird1.jpg
Elizabeth:
BI Elizabeth1.jpg
Elizabeth was a nightmare to slice. And took a massive 34 hour's to print at 0.15mm layerheight in ABS. But the details are incredible for a Rep rap machine... even the rose came out perfectly.

Still need to paint them.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

alanh

Post by alanh »

Awesome prints. Did you use acetone on the songbird ?

Bit of banding on the chair though.

Also, I'm using a Felix 2.0 so have the NEMA 17 motors so there's torque there.

satoer

Post by satoer »

Yes, the only reason I print ABS is I can acetone vapor it. (photo of Elizabeth is before acetone). The bench was a bit too much. Because of the massive block of ABS in the air, just standing on 4 legs and some small support sticks the bench bended and teared a bit. Also, because of the heat shrinkage the banding happened. I actually liked this effect of tearing and banding on this model. Made de wood bench look more natural. The girl self came out flawlessly. everything is printed (girl and bench) as a single model.

There are two Nema 17 motor versions. one small one bigger (Don't understand why they call it a Nema 17. Makes more sense to call it Nema 16)

alanh

Post by alanh »

I've got the 42BYGHW609P1-2.

http://www.wantmotor.com/ProductsView.a ... =75&sid=80

Are you using the W811 variant ?
Last edited by alanh on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Hail the new Felix King...! :-)
Felix 2.0

twicx

Post by twicx »

satoer, 2 quick questions.
1. why cant the bowden take flexible filaments?
2. I wonder how difficult it would be to make a quick-release system, whereby the extruders could be switched over easily to allow for that. any ideas?

satoer

Post by satoer »

Yes, I've got the W811. But I doubt that it makes that much of a difference.

@Twicx: The flexible filament gets compressed in the long Bowden-tube. When its compressing it expands and causes extra friction in the tube. But, personally I have never tried it. So if you do have some Arnitel lying around, please try it.

I've been thinking about a quick release switchable extruder. But haven't thought out a concept yet. It would be nice if it becomes some kind of universal standard, so everybody can use this mount.

I think it can be done, but it needs at least these properties:
- Absolutely no play. It needs to be really tight when locked.
- the Z height, needs to be on the exact same position every time you lock it. So you don't have to re-calibrate it.
- Lightweight.
- What about the cables. These also need some kind of connector that's easy available.

Maybe it needs to be something like the Manfrotto tripod quick release system.

twicx

Post by twicx »

I think the way I'd look at it is to make what I'd call a switchable-bowden type extruder. The idea would be that just 2 parts have to be swapped over: the hot end, and the fillament. When I'm explaining this, I'm going to go under the assumption that it's based on a modified version of your e3d extruder carriage/feeder system.

1. Hot End Switching.
The idea here is that just the hot end part of the extruder would be changed, possibly an easy-switching carriage. I know that the hot end also includes the heater and thermistor, and you'd need a way of switching them easily but also keeping contact with the main electronics board. However, the way I would do this is to add a small new part to the carriage whereby a simple clip-type connection could be made. So the connection would be thermistor/heater > carriage switch > electronics board. That way, when you change hot end, you just lift out the clips and clip in the ones for the relevant hot end.

2. Fillament
So the feeder carriage you have for this actually might work with some modifications. Lets imagine for a second that the feeder part (the block where the fillament passes through with the levers) is doubled. So there's essentially two side by side - one with the bowden ptfe tube, and one for the direct-extrusion/flexible fillament hot end. Then the motor could be on a slide or maybe some sort of grip, and you could just switch it to match whichever hot end you're using. At the extruder carriage, a similar slide could possible be integrated into the top of the carriage, where the fillament comes down. Once the filament is retracted, the bowden connection could be 'lifted' off so the flexible fillament could be fed through.

-

So then the if you wanted to switch from printing with the bowden to a flexible fillament, you first go to the carriage and open the door. You then undo the electronics clips at the carriage and the hot end comes free. Then you insert the other hot end and connect those electronics clips and close it up. You then go to the motor at the fillament and switch it from your bowden fillament to your flexible one, and do the same at the hot end.

I'll do a sketch of all that to make it clearer.