New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end V5

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Saamec

Re: Новый экструдер конструкция каретки для E3D Боуден Горяч

Post by Saamec »

Open the settings slicer tab Dimension, try to change the parameter Retraction Distance. With the original design Guillaume recommended to decrease this value to prevent congestion plastic. But had the side effect is akin to what you describe. I think you need to increase this value, say up to 2-3. Should help. Test on a small model.

Happy printing)
Last edited by Saamec on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Makron

Post by Makron »

Could you translate it to english next time.

translation :
Open the Settings tab, cutting measure, try to change the setting retraction distance. With an original design by Guillaume recommended to reduce this value to prevent the accumulation of plastic. But there was a side-effect is similar to what you describe. I think you need to increase this value to, say, 2-3. Should help. Test on a small model.

Happy printing

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

Makron wrote:не Могли бы вы перевести это на английский в следующий раз.

перевод :
Откройте вкладку Параметры резки мера, попробуйте изменить настройки втягивание расстояние. С оригинальным дизайном Гийома, рекомендуется, чтобы уменьшить это значение для предотвращения накопления пластика. Но там был побочный эффект похож на то, что вы описываете. Я думаю, вам необходимо увеличить это значение, скажем, 2-3. Должно помочь. Тест на небольшой модели.

Удачной печати
Sorry, I so wanted that from the very beginning, I do not understand what happened. In any case, I have fixed.

alanh

Post by alanh »

satoer wrote:Yes, I've got the W811. But I doubt that it makes that much of a difference.
O.k. I think I'm getting there.

Got my new MK8 gear for the extruder and it's definitely grippy :-)

Anyway, still troubles ahead. Then I realized I hadn't wired up the fan for 12v operation. So I've done that to ensure the PLA isn't starting to melt in the chamber before it gets to the hotend.

Better, but my motor is still slipping.......

Hang on, I'm using draft mode using SFACT. And bingo !

The speed of draft mode mode is 120mm/s. I'd never tried draft mode with the Felix hotend, but my W609 motor doesn't seem to cope with the bowden setup at that speed and starts to slip.

I'd always used "production" profile which is limited to 60mm/s but I needed a quick print which is why I switched to draft mode.

Slowing down to 75% of 120mm/s, therefore, now 90mm/s and it's currently looking good and I can't hear the motor slipping.

I guess a W811 motor over the stock W609 my help here to get back to 120mm/s ???

Have to say though that the W609 is getting pretty hot. So will probably try a W811.

satoer - is your W811 getting hot ?

satoer

Post by satoer »

Interesting.

I don’t use the draft settings. But I use the normal settings and crank it up to 150 – 180% (so that makes 126mm/s) if I’m getting impatient. The W811 does not get hot, but it does get warm. (if I feel the spindle on the back side).

The MK8 drive gear, does that fit without modifications on the feeder? Did you recalibrate the steps / mm?

You keep saying the gear slips on the filament. And not the motor skipping steps. If the motor would skip steps than I believe the motor controller settings need to be adjusted to give more power, or the motor isn’t powerful enough for the task. But if the gear slips on the filament, than the motor or power to the motor is not the issue I think. I don’t think the Bowden tube makes a significant friction increase. The tube is almost frictionless.

My feeder does not slip at all. If I clamp the filament before it gets in the feeder the feeder pulls really hard on it and eventually it starts skipping steps. But it does not slip on the filament.

What temperature do you use to melt the PLA? Try increasing it by 10 to 15 degrees. I use PLA on 215 degrees. Maybe your hot-end is too cold to extrude the filament that fast. In my experience this hot-end needs to adjusted hotter than the Felix version.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Makron

Post by Makron »

I dont think its a problem with the extruder sound more youre hot end is cloged , have you cleaned it ?

I think to much tension on the filamant can cause the eating and its easy to put to much tension on it as it is a arm (dont realy know how to say it but in dutch it is kracht maal de arm)

I print normal profile at 200% after the first layers.

im realy stunned about the way it looks now with the new felix 2.0 upgrade and the e3d hot end.
I did make a new nozzle for it with a 0.35 hole.
Attachments
DSC_0301.jpg

Makron

Post by Makron »

Made a clean black and white theme now :D
Attachments
DSC_0302 (1).jpg

alanh

Post by alanh »

satoer wrote:Interesting.

I don’t use the draft settings. But I use the normal settings and crank it up to 150 – 180% (so that makes 126mm/s) if I’m getting impatient. The W811 does not get hot, but it does get warm. (if I feel the spindle on the back side).

The MK8 drive gear, does that fit without modifications on the feeder? Did you recalibrate the steps / mm?

You keep saying the gear slips on the filament. And not the motor skipping steps. If the motor would skip steps than I believe the motor controller settings need to be adjusted to give more power, or the motor isn’t powerful enough for the task. But if the gear slips on the filament, than the motor or power to the motor is not the issue I think. I don’t think the Bowden tube makes a significant friction increase. The tube is almost frictionless.

My feeder does not slip at all. If I clamp the filament before it gets in the feeder the feeder pulls really hard on it and eventually it starts skipping steps. But it does not slip on the filament.

What temperature do you use to melt the PLA? Try increasing it by 10 to 15 degrees. I use PLA on 215 degrees. Maybe your hot-end is too cold to extrude the filament that fast. In my experience this hot-end needs to adjusted hotter than the Felix version.
I'd been printing at 190, but upped that to 200. I'll try 215.

So I think you are right it's skipping steps. The new MK8 gear is not slipping on the filament.

I also tried to re-calibrate and it's fine. But I did find that when calibrating the motor doesn't slip, as when calibrating I leave the filament out of the hot-end. As soon as I put the filament back into the hot-end then I can hear the slipping again.

So it seems as though there is some calibration needed somewhere to help with the force of the extruder pushing through the hot-end. Not sure where though ? Any help ?

Makron

Post by Makron »

Drill out the stainless steal part with 2 mm drill

alanh

Post by alanh »

Is there a good reason for that ?

It won't be 2mm all the way through then and would surely cause clogging.