New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end V5

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
satoer

Re: New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end

Post by satoer »

dsnijders wrote:I gave up on the E3D hot end. Reasons:

- plastic coupler does not fit in heatsink.
- bowden tube fitting in heatsink is far too loose, which results in filament not being pushed into hot end (tolerance issue).

I am very disappointed, also because Sanjay from E3D never responded to my emails.
I switched back to the hot end from Guillaume.
Are you sure you have the Bowden-tube heatsink? There are two versions of it. Sounds like you've received the non threaded one (meant for direct drive).
Mine is really snug. The tube itself fits easily in the fitting and does not pop out. You have to push the tube into the fitting, and than pull the upper lip up (while pushing the tube down). This way there's no play.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Makron

Post by Makron »

I got this in my mail .

Hi there,

Just getting in touch because recently we have found that some of the black plastic bowden couplers are not screwing correctly into the aluminium heatsinks. The affected couplers only screw in by about 2 turns before becoming too tight to turn. A bag of couplers from our supplier were out of tolerance (slightly too big) which is causing the issue. The whole system does function with just the two turns of thread holding it together, but it's hardly a solution that we're happy with leaving "as is".

We expect most people to be fine, but if you experience any problems please reply to this email and we will get you a replacement set of couplers sent out immediately free of charge. We're really sorry for any problems this might have caused you.

If you're feeling DIY and want to fix the problem yourself, you can use a 1/8th BSP die to reform the threads on the coupler.

Apologies for bothering you!
Regards,
Sanjay from E3D-Online
So its a production fualt.

dsnijders

Post by dsnijders »

yep, I have the bowden tube heatsink.
Still no response from E3D.
Bad service imho.

dsnijders

Post by dsnijders »

Update on E3D hot end.
Sanjay sent me replacements for the couplers and also a new heatsink.
I thought it to be fair to mention that in this post.
Will give it another try.

Makron

Post by Makron »

Made 40 of these wheels approx 2 hours a piece so 80 hours printing with the e3d, without cleaning ,changing the avery paper or any other maintenance.

Think i can say im very happy with it all the only trouble i had was with the coupling of the ptfe tube that damaged te ptfe and stopped working,the ptfe slided out a bit every retraction.

But i solved it by making my own coupling and melting the tube in it.
Attachments
IMG_20131120_144740.jpg
DSC_0353.jpg

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

Just a review from my side:

I printet for several weeks and about 300h with the E3D Bowden hot end and had no clogging event.
Then I compared the results with the previous printed objects with the Felix V2/V3 HotEnd.

The quality of the original nozzle is for my settings much higher as with the E3D HotEnd.

So I gave the V4 Felix HotEnd a change and ordered it; after setting the retratction back to 1.25mm, I'm printing > 120h without any clogging event.
The only time I clogged the HotEnd was when I changed the filament; so I changed the proceedure of changing the filament (have had done this before but forgot it after using the E3D hotend); cut the inserted filament and extrude till the new one is feeded.

For me I will stay with the Felix V4 HotEnd as I do not need higher speeds and therefore a bowden setup.

The main issue why I choose to do that:
Quality, because of oozing E3D nozzle the quality of the printed parts with my settings (I used KissSlicer) is not as good as with the Felix HotEnd.

Thanks for sharing your great design; maybe I will change to the E3D Hotend back if I need the advantage of speed later.
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

satoer

Post by satoer »

So your quality problem is oozing? I'm wondering why the E3d oozes more than the V4 Felix. I haven't had oozing problems myself. I've had major oozing problems with the Felix hot-end, but that's because I couldn't use retraction anymore to prevent clogging. I can use a large retraction with this hot-end, this minimizes the oozing even more. Do you think the E3D 0,4mm hole versus the 0,35 Felix makes that much of a difference? With the e3D you can also use a 0,2mm hole...

@Macron: Whow... that's a serious production you got going there :lol:
What are the wheels for if you don't mind me asking?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Makron

Post by Makron »

They are wheels for a movie or something (don't know what they really want with it)

I had some oozing with the e3d but it went away by calibrating the extruder , to be honest i calibrate the extruder every time i put on new filament. it takes just 5 mins.

i did make new nozzle's for the e3d with 0.35 hole.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

My v3 hot end is about 4 months old and never had any clogging or oozing.
printed about 4 kgs of filament whit that hot-end :)
i have 2x v4 hot-ends coming :)
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

twicx

Post by twicx »

I'm still on the Felix hot end, but following a suggestion from Guillaume, I changed the hotend fan to run on 12V instead of 5, and I definitely get less oozing. Might be something worth trying with the e3d??