Bowden feeder with easy release on fillament tension

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Bachgassenbande

Re: Bowden feeder with easy release on fillament tension

Post by Bachgassenbande »

@ alanh
How much tension did you put on?
I discovered that when putting tension on the gear; I'm cutting my filament and getting slipping.
After loosening the tension (can move both screws when tensiond easely by hand) I do not have any issues.
Loose the tension to much lower values as you had done with the old design; for me this is working without any issue.
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

alanh

Post by alanh »

I could also move them by hand easily.

But I guess one of the problems with this feeder is that you can't actually see what's happening between the cog and wheel to see how much compression is happening.

I think I'll probably drill out some of the facia to see when these problems occur.

satoer

Post by satoer »

I really can't figure out what can go wrong with the feeder. Have you cleaned the gear? Maybe there's excessive filament powder between the teeth preventing grip on the filament. Did you put two washers on every hinge-bold, (both sides of the seesaw, bearing arm and lever)? Can the seesaw, bearing arm and lever move freely (do not over tighten the 3 bolds).

It's quite a simple design, just a bearing pressing filament against a gear. The tension can be adjusted from really loose to really tight. And all forces are evenly distributed (hinges and bearing are double supported). I can't figure out why the original extruder feeder had less problems.

Personally I haven't had any problems since I switched to this e3D setup.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

alanh

Post by alanh »

Yes, everything moves freely. When I opened the feeder there was a lot of filament powder built-up on the gear and on over the casing.

It was clean when I put it together, I don't think it was overly tight either.

Like I say though, maybe it's the filament I'm using that's softer ????

I've got a new gear coming that I'll give a try with better teeth, which I've been reading is a common problem for some feeders. It seems superhornet59 had this problem also as he used a car RC pinion gear with better teeth too, which I guess is what started the KISStruder.

Alternatively, I may order the W811 NEMA 17 motor to see what gives there too.

Justas

Post by Justas »

Satoer, nice job!
How long is PFTE tubing you're using in your system.

Thanks!
Jz

Kentxu

Post by Kentxu »

Hi satoer,

Thanks for the great designs of E3D-V6 hotend carriage and this Bowden Feeder!
I'm planning on making them as having jamming problems with my current Felix 2.0 set up :(

Can this feeder be used with a drive gear like this one from E3D?
http://e3d-online.com/Mechanical/Extrud ... Goblin-5mm
(I think it's similar to a MK8)

Or would the design need to be modified?

Thanks!
Ken

satoer

Post by satoer »

I've designed the extuder to use with the original Felix gear. You might need to file some off the internal stucture to make this gear compatible. If you do try it, pleas let us know if it works. And if its an improvement over the original gear. I peronally don't have any problems with the Felix gear.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

DDME-Marc

Post by DDME-Marc »

Hi Ken, Satoer

I have been using the E3D Goblin gear for the past few months with noticeably improved results.

No modifications were required to fit the gears, although you will need to check/recalibrate the extruder stepping rate.

My experience has been more accurate filament feed, in particular with the retract/jump moves. The end result is less issues with blobbing, along with improved seams.
E3D_Goblin.jpg
Cheers,

Marc
Felix 3.0 Dual Head * E3D Titan V6 * Repetier-Host V2.1.3 * Repetier-Firmware 0.92.9 (01/08/17 - Modified) * KISSlicer Pro - 1.6.3 * Arduino 1.8.5 *