Opto sensor issue??

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
faji911

Opto sensor issue??

Post by faji911 »

Hi Guys,

I'm currently at the stage of calibrating the z axis height, my printer connects fine to the computer and Repetier software, the lights on my opto sensors are burning but when I move the flanges of each axis into the opto sensor slots, the lights do not go out. When I press the home X and Y buttons in the manual control tab both axis move in the positive direction, I then pressed the home button and the z axis started moving upwards but didn't stop and hit the hot end at which point I quickly pulled the power cord in panic.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm meant to be doing at this stage, my z-axis limit switch is about 5cm from the the top of the z-axis rail, I have taped foil onto the flanges, I'm very confident that the opto sensors are plugged into the correct spots on the power board although am I meant to see lights on the power board too? What should I do, my assumption in the calibration stage is that once the flanges on any axis triggers the opto sensor it stops the movement, that doesn't seem to be happening on mine, what can I do!?

I've attached photos of my opto sensors, let me know if there's something obvious I'm missing.

faji911

Post by faji911 »

I've seen another thread here with someone who had a similar issue and it was to do with the PCB connections differing from the instruction manual possibly, anyone know about this?

Danny-Lelystad

Post by Danny-Lelystad »

If this is the wiring order u used and u did use the same on the Felix pcb itself, then there is an error in ure wiring :( U should switch the black and yellow at the optosensors.

At the optosensor u use this order (Look at the optosensor pcb, the small letters next to the screwterminal):
Yellow is SIGnal
Black is GND
Red is VCC
See pictures in this post: http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... f=11&t=542

Then u can use the order at the Felix pcb as described in the manual.

faji911

Post by faji911 »

Danny-Lelystad wrote:If this is the wiring order u used and u did use the same on the Felix pcb itself, then there is an error in ure wiring :( U should switch the black and yellow at the optosensors.

At the optosensor u use this order (Look at the optosensor pcb, the small letters next to the screwterminal):
Yellow is SIGnal
Black is GND
Red is VCC
See pictures in this post: http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... f=11&t=542

Then u can use the order at the Felix pcb as described in the manual.
Thanks Danny, I've progressed a bit further I've changed the wiring as you said and now I have led lights burning on all spots on the main pcb but only one of the opto sensor led's burning. The X axis led does go out when the flange enters (no led burning on actual opto sensor) and when I trigger the Z axis sensor the y axis led goes out on the main pcb, I'm going to try and swap those wirings as I assume they are in the incorrect place (even though I was pretty careful with labelling etc when assembling). The Y axis opto sensor is burning but when triggered nothing happens.
I'm going to try swapping the Y and Z wires on the main PCB and then see what happens and perhaps hit the reset button on the main PCB....any advice?

faji911

Post by faji911 »

*UPDATE*
I swapped the wiring on the main PCB, now when I trigger each of the opto sensors the correct LED turns off on the main PCB, however I now don't have any of the LEDs on the actual opto sensors burning, am I on the right track?

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

faji911 wrote:*UPDATE*
I swapped the wiring on the main PCB, now when I trigger each of the opto sensors the correct LED turns off on the main PCB, however I now don't have any of the LEDs on the actual opto sensors burning, am I on the right track?
I had the same issue with the LED on the small opto boards not turning on ever (Felix 2.0, Sep 2013). Otherwise, the LED on the main PCB worked fine. I measured Vcc on the opto boards to be 3V, but apparently it is supposed to be 5V, so I re-routed all red wires (for optos X,Y and Z on the main PCB) to the terminal where the red wire of the constantly running extruder fan is connected to (5V). This solved the issue for me.
See also http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... nsor#p3321

EDIT/UPDATE: Be careful connecting the opto sensors directly to 5V. This option is only good for certain opto sensors (probably those which are mounted on small PCBs together with additional electronics, like LEDs, resistors, etc.). Other opto sensors will potentially get fried when being connected to 5V directly!
Last edited by Dreide on Tue May 27, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

rmerrick

Post by rmerrick »

yes the opto sensor connectors on the 2.1 PCB, the VCC is 12V through a 1K resistor. It doesnt work because the photo transistor is biased from the VCC line with a 10K resistor.. When the transistor is off the SIG wire is nearly 6V, not good for the micro. The fix is to connect all the opto VCC wires to a lead connected to the power supply 5V connection.
Beware the user manual has the GND and SIG wires transposed on the pictures..