Y-Axis play: anyone found a good solution?

dognotdog

Y-Axis play: anyone found a good solution?

Post by dognotdog »

I was trying to reduce play in the Y-axis over the weekend, with the only result of apparently frying a stepper driver in the process of fidgeting with the current control potmeter. Anyhow, that aside, applying just one bit of tape to a single side of the carriage reduces play a lot, but also makes the whole thing apparently too hard to move for the stepper.

As it is, the rail twists quite a bit when the Y-axis stepper reverses direction, which isn't so bad just above the carriage, but at the far end of the X range, the bed moves significantly. Any ideas?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Sorry to hear about the stepper!

Play in the sliding bearings is the weak spot/hard to get perfect in Felix as I can see it. The problem is not that big on the far right side of the x-axis due to the support directly beneath (and I wouldn't say it is too big on the left most side either but more irritating when trying to achieve perfection :) )

What you could try to do is source thinner Kapton tape (if possible). The one I bought is among the thickest available and is causing me problems in fine-tuning as exact as I would have liked.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Have you tried to follow this tutorial to reduce play? http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... ?f=14&t=10

Have you already ordered a new stepper driver? If you did, you can send me the invoice and I'll refund it as warranty. Otherwise I can arrange a new one.

Kapton tape by the way is not a must, I used it in the tutorial, because the tape I had, had a convenient width. You can also use regular tape as long as it not deforms too much.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

Yea, i tried the tutorial. I'll try with thinner tape next time, but i am afraid it's an inherent problem with these rails. I'm thinking maybe a second carriage would reduce the twisting, or possibly attaching the timing belt differently, so that it wouldn't twist the rail on direction reversal. Which reminds me, are CAD files available for the whole shebang? I would like to play with the arrangement a bit, maybe it is possible to attach the belts above the rail, along the center-line.

And Guillaume, thanks for the offer, I ordered a half a dozen stepper boards, just in case :) (and I'm also working on another project that could use the pololus for testing)
I'll remind you to give me a discount when I need more PLA :)