[solved] Y-Axis Backlash

dognotdog

[solved] Y-Axis Backlash

Post by dognotdog »

Backlash on Y:

I tightened/loosened the belt and did some test prints, also tried slowing down the speed, but all prints look alike. The Y axis is freshly greased, though it doesn't slide as freely as the X-axis, I don't know what else to do about it. The caliper says its about 0.3-0.4mm backlash.

Any ideas?
Last edited by dognotdog on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HLA

Post by HLA »

Hi dognotdog,

This thread addresses your issue: http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... ?f=10&t=61 ;)

Best,
HLA

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

HLA, that thread offers no solution other than I have tried, but I did find the cause a few minutes ago!

At the top of the carriage, there was a small bit of plastic inserted where the plastic clips into the metal, between the kapton tape and the clips. This little thing was protruding from the carriage by a few tenths of a millimeter, and when tightening the carriage to the Z-axis, that little thing pushed the plastic against the rails, causing the slider to bind quite a bit. Now the Y-axis moves a lot easier, and the backlash is much reduced. I think I didn't notice it before because before my attempted tune-up, I probably forgot to tighten the bolts holding the carriage, thus the slider moved without obstruction.

HLA

Post by HLA »

Hi, could you post the picture of where the problem was. This would help me and others understand how you solved this. Thanks!

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi dognotdog. Good you found the solution, sorry it took so long. The guys from production probably made this small plastic part too long. That will indeed increase the friction significantly. This small plastic thing actually has a function, it fixes the plastic parts from moving with respect to the carriage. If this they are not fixed, the kapton will be rubbed underneath them over time. So it is still recommended to have them there, but they have to be shorter than they were delivered to you

Kind regards,

Guillaume

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

Unfortunately I have no clue where the little plastic thing went, but here's a picture of where it was:

Everything is fine until you tighten the bolts that hold the carriage, so when one takes it off to figure out whats wrong, the carriage moves quite freely, so I couldn't figure out what was wrong at first.