Spammers help

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Spammers help

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi everybody,

as you may have noticed there are quite some spammers around. Yesterday seems to be the biggest attack to date. It took quite some time to remove the spam posts.

If anybody has experience in fighting these attacks don't hesitate to drop us a line.

I have changed registration verification method to Q and A instead of recaptcha, I hope this will keep the spammers out better.

satoer

Post by satoer »

It looks like a lot of spam is placed by the same registration name. Isn't there an option or an extra plugin with PhpBB to delete a user including all his posted message's?

I don't think the registration verification makes a lot of difference. This isn't placed with a automatic spammer bot I think. or... Maybe you should change the registration question to a more difficult question only 3D print enthusiast know...
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

I think it is a combination of spammers. The last one was with a bot I think. In phpBB you can indeed remove a user with all his spam posts. This is what I've done last time, but it still takes up an unnessecary amount of time. I've created three questions, but not the hardest to solve for people, because I don't want to scare off most new users.

satoer

Post by satoer »

Maybe create a sticky to help the moderators delete spammers? If a user found a spamming user, he can post the post or username in that topic. After a moderator delete's the spammer, he also deletes the users spammer declaration post in that topic.

This way moderators won't get "spammed" on their pm by several users with the same info, and users can see the spammer is allready declared. Deleting the declaration post keeps the list clean.

Some of the spammers are really cunning. Like this person: http://forum.felixprinters.com/memberli ... ile&u=1233
Repeating some of the other posts. This way it looks like a genuine post and can easily be missed by a moderator.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Thanks for the input satoer.

I think it is easier for everybody if the posts containing spam are reported using the !-icon in the top right corner of the offending post. That way we easily see all the posts that are marked (but the tools to delete posts and ban users are cumbersome and lacking). One problem this does not solve is spammers with spam in their signatures that have not posted. The spam/URL is visible in the member list (even if a user has been banned) :(

satoer

Post by satoer »

I didn't even knew about the !-icon haha.

Isn't there some kind of phpbb clean-up tool to delete all 0-postings-users after X-months of inactivity?