New extruder design, testers needed.

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Lioric

Re: New extruder design, testers needed.

Post by Lioric »

To take apart the hot end just grab the peek insulator (the plastic part) with pliers (slip join type, in the widest setting), hold it very well (it won't break, it is a really hard piece, really hard to even scratch it) and use a 13mm wrench to rotate the hot end metal base

Be extra careful to tighten it REALLY well when assembling it back. If not there will be a tiny diameter difference and plastic will expand there and will cause extruder jams

It would be really good if the exact specs for the tightening torque are provided

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Markus,

Your pictures do not look great indeed. Looks like it is overfilled and also layers do not align well due to backlash. Also temperature settings seem quite high, don't know what temp you used but 195-200 degC is the temp I normally use. I've sliced the files with 0.1mm backlash value, this should give good results. See the attachment to this post for gcode files
extruder_concept_parts_0_1mm_backlash.zip
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
Kind regards,

Guillaume

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I've been doing some larger prints the last two days, and I noticed that I get extruder jams with the new design, if fed directly from a heavy spool. Seems like after a while, the stepper becomes hot enough that apparently the support structure softens, and some tension is lost. Maybe re-adding the support bearing on the stepper axis would help? I suspect this happens because the extruder fan isn't active when large things are printed, and thus the stepper can become quite hot. Maybe it can be resolved by simply changing the parameters for the extruder fan in the slicer, but it'd be better to resolve it more reliably.

suraki

Post by suraki »

Sorry for the late answer!

@Lioric: Thanks, it's working! :)

@Guillaume: You helped me a lot!
http://youtu.be/PSRDJJNYKW4
My first try was on 200 celsius, it's definitely too high. Now i use your new gcode file on 185-190 celsius. Look at the difference:
It's looks much better, and it's working. :)

The backlash is a problem for me. I can't avoid disassemble the X and Y slidebearing parts. :roll:

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

dognotdog wrote:I've been doing some larger prints the last two days, and I noticed that I get extruder jams with the new design, if fed directly from a heavy spool. Seems like after a while, the stepper becomes hot enough that apparently the support structure softens, and some tension is lost. Maybe re-adding the support bearing on the stepper axis would help? I suspect this happens because the extruder fan isn't active when large things are printed, and thus the stepper can become quite hot. Maybe it can be resolved by simply changing the parameters for the extruder fan in the slicer, but it'd be better to resolve it more reliably.
Maybe your stepper driver is set with too much power? The temp of the stepper should not reach the 60 degC also not when the fan is off. How do you orient your heavy spool? I recon that the pulling force is a little less than the previous design, but not that low to have problems with it also not for 10hours+ prints.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I think it might've been the parts I printed, with the 1.5 upgrade there seem to be no problems. Now I just have to get rid of the damned Z wobble again...

suraki

Post by suraki »

I realy enjoy the easy hotend maintenance with the new extruder parts.

alanh

Post by alanh »

gfeliksdal wrote:Hi Markus,

Your pictures do not look great indeed. Looks like it is overfilled and also layers do not align well due to backlash. Also temperature settings seem quite high, don't know what temp you used but 195-200 degC is the temp I normally use. I've sliced the files with 0.1mm backlash value, this should give good results. See the attachment to this post for gcode files
extruder_concept_parts_0_1mm_backlash.zip
Kind regards,

Guillaume
Is this the exact parts that are used on the Felix 2.0 ?