I can't believe my eyes

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Lioric

I can't believe my eyes

Post by Lioric »

After close to a couple of Kg of filament in tests, PLA and ABS, hours of calibration and even more hours searching for the correct slicer settings (and searching for THE slicer), the results where not really good to say the least. The perimeter was uneven, lots of gaps between layers, the start of each layer was clearly visible, blobs on corners, parts higher than 10cm were not possible, and making it short, for structural or engineering parts it was not quite cutting it, not by a long shot

Or in other words, very similar results to most of the other printers out there (other brands that is)

But as the title says, after a single setting change more, I CAN'T BELIEVE MY EYES with the results. Seriously I'm holding this freshly baked plastic extrusion and it looks like it was made on a powder machine costing 10k to 20k (or any other high level enterprise 3d printer), it is close to perfect, the tolerances on the sizes are unbelievable, the corners and arcs are perfect, you really really need to focus if you want to feel the layers (and even then it feels smooth as butter), well to put in condensed words, I was speechless after seeing the part being printed and after holding it for the first time

I don't have a good camera for macro shots, but it is so impressive that I had to take some pictures even with the mobile phone camera, obviously it is 1000 times better than these pictures (did I say 1000? well more like 10000000 times better)

Times like this are when you remember why did you choose to purchase a Felix printer, now I can say IT IS miles ahead of the other printers. No actual part or picture of a printed part that I saw made on any other printer can came close to this quality

Last edited by Lioric on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

And what was the single setting change? :)

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

I was so excited that I forgot to put it ;)

I enabled SKIN in skeinforge, with Horizontal Infill Divisions 2, Hor Perimeter Divisions 1 and Vertical Division 3

Those parts are in ABS, if you see the old one, is very curved, and the new one is really straight. Really really impressive. In reality it looks as if it were made of another material in another process, very similar to the Objet printer that use powder

In the last picture you can see some vertical lines right?, well the actual layers are horizontal, seriously they are there but just not visible ;)
Last edited by Lioric on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Nice to see the results :)

Here is some more info about the Skin plugin: http://fabmetheus.crsndoo.com/wiki/inde ... forge_Skin

HLA

Post by HLA »

Thanks for sharing this! Looks like a very promising feature.

Did you try other shapes? More complex structures with many curves/overhangs/etc...

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Actually that was one of the most problematic shapes, at least on my tests, the need for clean lines and perimeters close to perfect as possible (any errors and warping would be clearly visible at that lengths), made that extrusion shape a real pita for printing

I will test different shapes soon (currently creating the extrusion hardware in the cad app), but I mainly use the printer to create mechanical and structural objects, so no organic shapes here that I can test (no owl statue printing for me for the time being ;) )

Hope to get a good camera soon, to post more pictures of the printings

danielkschneider

Post by danielkschneider »

An extra tip: If you use SKIN, make sure that you got good filament

In the following situation:
* Bad filament (width varies between 1.6 and 1.9 mm)
* Models that require a lot of retraction (e.g. lots of parts sticking up)
using very little extrusion (as it happens when using 1/2 or 1/3 layers with SKIN) can lead to extruder clogging (no filament comes out) since pulling up works ok, but not pushing down.

Workound: Diminuish retraction a lot, e.g. I set

DIMENSION->Rectraction distance to 0.5 (as opposed to 1.5)

... helps somewhat. Print quality will suffer some of course, but some print is better than none ...