First print trouble

instasquid

First print trouble

Post by instasquid »

So I'm at the stage where the hotbed is calibrated, the filament is flowing and I am ready for my first test print.

So far, however, the print does not stick to the hotbed properly and if it does it does so only briefly before becoming attached to the extruder and being drug around the hot bed.

I've tried re-leveling the hotbed, re-calibrating the z-axis, using a different spool of PLA. So far no good. What's likely to be my problem?

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

photo please

instasquid

Post by instasquid »

Sure. You can see the mess I managed to print today here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47173341@N ... /lightbox/

In the bottom right you can make out the outline of the test shape, but it failed to stick to the printer bed. Is the nozzle just too far away? Am I doing something else wrong? I've been heating the nozzle to anywhere between 195C and 205C, the bed is at 55C.

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

a photo of a table can be seen? PLA needs to print 205, table 60. And once you have nothing sticks, try to put on the table ordinary glass. On my Desk glass 2mm all just super as sticks, secure it with paper clips.

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

distance from the nozzle to the table should be equal to 1 business card, make sure that your table is pasted over the tape, not the bare aluminum.

instasquid

Post by instasquid »

Heated both the bed and nozzle to specified temperatures. Nozzle is a piece of paper or less from the hotbed. Here's what the print looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47173341@N05/10599865315/

The print starts slowly for the outer edge and speeds up after the that first bit is done and the print falls apart.

Feedrate is 100
Flowrate is 100
Speed is 100

Edit:
Getting closer. The first few layers seem to print well and then it falls apart:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47173341@N05/10601478376/
Any thoughts?

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

A couple of things to check.

- Make sure the kapton is VERY clean. No old plastic and no fingerprints, etc. Get some pure Acetone (from a hardware store) and use a tissue to wipe the surface down thoroughly. I use a new tissue and do it every time. I used to use a chux rag, but that held containments as was not as effective.

- Make sure there is enough tension on the extruder. If you don't get the right feed rate then odd things can happen. It takes a lot of force to squeeze 1.7mm wide filament through a 0.35 mm hole. The bolt that goes through the springs need to be done a pretty tight. Do it up so that you just can't push the filament through (and have to turn on the extruder to load it).

Other things you might want to look at (not related to this problem) is to change the extruder fan to 12V for better cooling and fixing up the springs under the bed.

Ben
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)

instasquid

Post by instasquid »

Thanks for the advice. I've been wiping the kapton down with chux and detergent, I'll change it up, check my cooling and see how that goes.

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

Check if your extruder e-steps is correct calibrated.
Search the forum there is a nice tutorial for that.
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade