WIP: Dual extruder

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
dognotdog

Re: WIP: Dual extruder

Post by dognotdog »

PS: NEMA 23 looks monstrous next to the standard sized motors on the felix:

Admittedly, this is a long motor with 3A/3Nm torque. But still, I'm inclined to say they're a bit too much :)

HLA

Post by HLA »

@dognotdog:

I use the thermal glue to mount the heatsinks onto polulus ( http://reprapworld.com/?products_detail ... cPath=1629 ). This provides great heat exchange and glues the heatsinks very well too. The usual stickers never stuck well and fell off at a breeze of air.

Thanks for posting a comparison to the Nema23. It does look humongous compared to Nema17. 3Nm means 300Ncm, means around 30kg equivalent force on the pulley - wow! I guess this is where these devices would get seriously dangerous and one would need a sticker like the one attached ;)

BTW, nice to see that you implemented the metal z-axis coupling. I've got the same (at least looks the same) - it was a but cumbersome to fix it though.
Attachments
safety.jpg
safety.jpg (8.12 KiB) Viewed 536 times

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Haha, the motor could probably used to extrude steel.

@dognotdog: new linear ball bearing guides from hiwin, they work like a charm. They are a more expensive, but more production friemdly, so it evens out. Circles are round out of the box no tuning needed. And corners are razor (well almost) sharp. They are included in the printer from now on. I have to rewrite the manual and put it on the site, but they are provided from now on.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Guillaume: You have been busy lately! ;)

Looking forward to see photos/documentation of the new setup. It sounds REALLY tempting! I like the "circles are round out of the box" part!

Will new printers from now on be delivered with the new extruder as well? Or will you wait a little while longer? Things are looking good :)

HLA/dognotdog: I think Nema 23 might be a tiny bit overkill ;)
HLA: I ended up using regular Nema 17 since that was what I had at hand. I also thought about using the gear driven PG35L-48 from eMinebea but abandoned that thought due to the extra cost and it not being in Guillaumes inventory.

aikx

Post by aikx »

linear ball bearing guides from hiwin
Open Type?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Yes indeed open. They are almost one on one exchangeable with the current guides.

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

gfeliksdal wrote:Yes indeed open. They are almost one on one exchangeable with the current guides.
Great news! I really like how the Felix printer keeps getting better each day

Hope "almost" is not to the keyword :) . Hopefully no drilling or other high precision mod is needed to retrofit this updated bearings

Now, why did I spend the last couple of days in full to reduce backlash and making "circles round and corners sharp" :D

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Lioric wrote:
gfeliksdal wrote:Yes indeed open. They are almost one on one exchangeable with the current guides.
Great news! I really like how the Felix printer keeps getting better each day

Hope "almost" is not to the keyword :) . Hopefully no drilling or other high precision mod is needed to retrofit this updated bearings

Now, why did I spend the last couple of days in full to reduce backlash and making "circles round and corners sharp" :D
Almost is kind of the keyword :). You need newly printed parts, but I'll provide an update kit which will have all the required parts, bolts, nuts etc in it. I also recon that the backlash with the current guides is almost impossible to fully remove, but somewhere between 0.05 and 0.15mm should definetly be doable. With skeinforge/sfact you can tune this for your case in software. But there is no other slicer I know of that can compensate for backlash unfortunately.

@Kjetil, do you maybe have some other cupcakes for us to drool over? :)

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Yes, I have fine tunned the backlash so with 0.10 for x and y it is printing perfect circles. Sadly the extruder is damaged beyond reparation due constant dismantling because it jammed constantly, so I will be without printer for a few weeks again

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I've been pretty silent the last couple of days. Have been busy with home improvement projects...

But I managed to redesign a little and print/assemble an updated version of the dual extruder base and extruder clamp.

The extruder base was printed with the last revision of the dual extruder barely hanging together. As a result the extruder base ended up quite uneven. I was quite shocked when I was able to assemble it anyway!
Front view without the fan mounted. Notice the leak between the peek part and the hot end on the left extruder. Needs to be looked into :(
Front view without the fan mounted. Notice the leak between the peek part and the hot end on the left extruder. Needs to be looked into :(
The update is a nice improvement! The hot ends are now held really well in place. With the last version I could reposition the heads if I wanted to (and bumping into printed layers would often reposition the head)... That is not possible with the new version!

Even with more plastic added around the cold end, ventilation is kept quite good. I would like to do an update to improve the flow around the M8 thread on the cold ends but not sure if it is needed...
Notice the ventilation holes for the M8 threads of the cold end. I should also rotate the fan for less obstructed air flow to the left cold end's M8 threads
Notice the ventilation holes for the M8 threads of the cold end. I should also rotate the fan for less obstructed air flow to the left cold end's M8 threads
I haven't been able to print much due to the home improvement projects but also due to one of the hot ends acting up a little bit. But I managed to print parts of a cube ;)
Some contamination in the yellow area from the blue filament. Could be due to the hot end acting up or more retract needed?
Some contamination in the yellow area from the blue filament. Could be due to the hot end acting up or more retract needed?
Notice how the blue extruder jammed on the top layers. There are some other issues too, but that is most likely due to lack of properly calibrated printer
Notice how the blue extruder jammed on the top layers. There are some other issues too, but that is most likely due to lack of properly calibrated printer