WIP: Dual extruder

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Hugues

Re: WIP: Dual extruder

Post by Hugues »

Cool.
thanks for digging this thread up,
i did not kow so much work has been done already on dual extruder for the Felix.

I immediately thought about one possible usage: i'm struggling with warping ABS parts but love the shiny/smmoth look once bathed in acetone vapor. So it could be cool to do the infill with PLA or other stuff and external layer only with ABS.

certainly subscribed to this thread, and i wish i can contribute, at least as beta tester..

thanks
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

@WayneMc: Welcome to the dual extrusion club! I love the way you have built your solution directly on Guillaume's original design - thereby retaining the same hotend height and possibility for reusing Guillaume's nice airduct design. I went for a slightly different approach to try to move the COG of the extruder design as close as possible to the rail. I use Cura for slicing dual extrusion models. You'll most likely notice some small ripples in the objects when you increase the speed due to the extra weight. It has been a tradeoff I was willing to live with.

@Hugues: It could be worth a try to combine ABS and PLA. I'm pretty sure none of us who has designed dual extrusion designs would mind if other test them as well :) But be prepared to spend some long nights building and fine tuning the dual extrusion setup ;)

killejano

Post by killejano »

I had an idea about a dual extruder desingn. Might even try it some day. I was thinking about moving the motors to the frame and running two square bars paraller to x-rail to act as drive shafts for the extruders. Friction might ofcourse be a problem but it would be light.

WayneMc

Post by WayneMc »

Dear Kjetilei, Thanks for your reply. You are too kind. As soon as I fired it up I got no feeds from any of the extruders. Can't even get the original nozzle to extrude at all. Reversed the new motor by switching the green and black wires. It then runs in the right direction. I get it all up to temperature and test both extruders. Both dump plastic onto the board and all looks great.
Used Cura to run a slice and this looks good. Hit the run job button and off she goes. Trouble is that from that moment on the extruder motors don't work. Killed the job. Load and slice the test print and still nothing. Makes all the right noises and movements but no extrusion. Could this be the code killing the motors? Beats me at the moment.

Will now put it all back to original and see if it still works at all. Got to have something working to meet my deadline. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

WayneMc wrote:...Makes all the right noises and movements but no extrusion. Could this be the code killing the motors? Beats me at the moment.
just a thought,

i have the same behavior on my felix 2.0 if i hit run but the extruder temperature has not reached it's point yet. Printer starts and moves correctly but no extrusion, and i get the message below that is for protection.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

WayneMc

Post by WayneMc »

Hugues, Could be something in the firmware that is doing that. This happens even if it is up to temp on both bed and extruder. Could have something to do with the number of steps needed to extrude a mm of material. Once I fixed this in Cura I got extrusion. Then it stopped again in one nozzle and not the other. Now neither of the motors turn. Somewhere a signal is being sent that is messing with this.

After a restore to the old firmware and reset of the PC I get extrusion again. Switch back to new firmware and works for a while then stops again. Bit of a mystery to me.

I sliced one in Slic3r. One nozzle turned the other did not. It retracts etc so the motor is working ok. Just doesn't turn on normal extrude.