FELIX 3.0

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

seaton

Re: FELIX 3.0

Post by seaton »

johnnyTrademark wrote:Tell us more about the insulation on the bed... and pictures please!
Nothing to it, some cardboard cut to the size of the bed taped to the bottom with kapton tape of the bed right to the edges and a slit cut for the wires of the heater and thermister to exit, which I've also taped over, reaches 100DegC no problem, have tried to 110DegC and is ok

I do have a glass plate and using a gluestik on the glass and I'm not having any problems of lifting, although not big prints, only been print gin some of these http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:113764 and in the past have did a felix v2 carriage and spares.

Stephen...
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

arhifane

Post by arhifane »

Is the Felix 3.0 Build platform covered by default with kapton tape? That's how it seem from the images. In that case, the PLA print works on Kapton tape? Here i found a paragraph saying
You can print with PLA on Kapton tape, but it's not a good idea. In order to get it to stick to the Kapton, you have to heat your platform, sometimes just as much as you would with ABS. And PLA retains heat, so the hot platform can degrade the plastic and have negative effects on your print, like causing the lower layers to sag or discolor.

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

The 3.0 bed is (if you follow the instructions) coated with Kapton tape. At 55C, it works just fine on every PLA print 'veI tried, so I'm not buying the "you have to heat it as much as you would with ABS" argument. I find my prints to be quite sticky with the bed set at 55C as long as the footprint isn't teeny-tiny, like less than 1cm^2. I have also had no issues whatsoever at that temp with discoloration, sagging, or anything of that sort in the lower layers that could be attributed to the use of the heated bed.

Now all that said, blue painter's tape is much cheaper, and much more readily available, so if it works just as well and doesn't require heat, there's no particular reason not to use that instead, or even to switch back and forth if you change materials frequently.

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

Anybody knows when the upgrade is available.
I need this injection molded parts!
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

+1
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Can the Felix 3.0 with dual extrusion print PLA and ABS at the same time on the same part ?

Could be interesting to print the outer shell with ABS and the inside with PLA, so we can benefit from the smooth finish of ABS (using acetone vapor) but avoid the struggling of ABS part lifting from the bed.

I guess the tricky part is on the software ?
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

Hugues wrote:Can the Felix 3.0 with dual extrusion print PLA and ABS at the same time on the same part ?

Could be interesting to print the outer shell with ABS and the inside with PLA, so we can benefit from the smooth finish of ABS (using acetone vapor) but avoid the struggling of ABS part lifting from the bed.

Yes why not?
Get two SLT's and merge them with Slic3r (newest version). Assign one material to the one SLT/Nozzle the other SLT to the other material/Nozzle.
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Bachgassenbande wrote:
Hugues wrote:Can the Felix 3.0 with dual extrusion print PLA and ABS at the same time on the same part ?

Yes why not?
Get two SLT's and merge them with Slic3r (newest version). Assign one material to the one SLT/Nozzle the other SLT to the other material/Nozzle.
I will research that, thanks.

Just to be sure, you meant STL, right ? not SLT.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

I printed so far PLA and PVA at the same time.
It works.

With PLA & ABS you may need to check bed temperature, they are usually different. I use Inkjet transparent sticker A4 which is able to handle it. Glass bes may as well.