Filament jam

instasquid

Filament jam

Post by instasquid »

I'm getting a problem where the filament jams constantly. I've tried cleaning the extruder, hell I even purchased a new extruder, but the same thing is happening. The PLA feeds, then the stepper motor starts to 'jump' [makes 'chug chug chug' noises] and can't push the PLA any further.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Does the upper fan work?
Supply 12v to the upper fan.
Does your extruder motor have enough power?( motherboard has potentiometer for power adjustment)
Dont but too much torque on the filament tension screw.
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

instasquid

Post by instasquid »

Upper fans are working.
Extruder motor used to work, this problem is recent.

I can get my filament through most of the way, here's a photo of it once I've reverse the feed and removed it: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/l ... roblem.jpg

Any thoughts? I've had a lot of trouble trying to get this printer to print. I feel like I'm so close, but it's driving me crazy.

satoer

Post by satoer »

Does it jam if you adjust the retract setting to 0?
(SFACT => Configure => Dimension => Retraction distance)
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Hmm, did you change your filament recently? Measure the filament diameter, it needs to be close to 1.75.
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

I have v3 hotend and i havent got zero jams/glogs since i swapped the hotend to v3.
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

instasquid

Post by instasquid »

Satoer: Yes. Even with Retraction Distance on 0 it jams. It always jams at around 50-60mm of feeding the filament through. [I'm using 10mm incraments so it stops quickly if there's a problem]

Mayhem: Yup. It's 1.75mm filament. Happens with the filament that came with the printer. I have yet to get one successful print, but I have gotten prints out of it before which means the plastic works. It's only recently stopped going through the extruder. I also bought a second extruder [both v3] and it stopped working after the 3rd or 4th attempt at printing. So I now have 2 extruders neither of them work.

JTa

Post by JTa »

And you're sure the thermistor is ok? I had similar problems but those are gone now after I switched to another thermistor model.. Check the heat of the hotend with some external thermometer.

instasquid

Post by instasquid »

JTa: I have an infrared thermometer which says the tip of the hotend is only 95C instead of 195C. So that seems a likely culprit. Thanks!

What do I do to fix the termistor?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Buy new one:)
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360