Filament intake

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

gobi

Filament intake

Post by gobi »

Hey guys,

lately i've been having major failures in printing cause it seems that the motor cant push the filament into the head, at least not well enough. When i extrude it flows well but when it's time to print it's not good enough.
I'll take apart the whole thing now but i have one question. Can it be that the extruder wheel weared off or something? Cause if my problem is just that then...

By the way, every piece is good, everything is tight, and i tried and tried but the prints fail after a few layers.

Any thoughts, ideas?

ps. the motor doesnt even click when it would be too tight and i cant tighten any more...

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Could it be a false temperature reading from the thermistor in the hot head ?

Maybe it's too cold ?

Just guessing...
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

gobi

Post by gobi »

no, all the temperature readings are fine. it has to do something with the extruder arm and the tension. could you take a picture of how your printer looks like? i'm curious that maybe my whole setup is wrong, maybe something touches something that it shouldnt.

mine's like this:

it seems now that the head is so up high that when extruding, the metal bearing touches its top.
how do i fix that?

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

my heat sink is a little different ,

actually i just realised my heat sink is also almost touching the bearing, i could not insert a 0.05mm blade between them, but i do not experience the problem you describe. My clogging has always been resolved by inserting a thin copper wire into the tip of the nozzle.

if you think your bearing cannot turn and cause the blockage, you could use a dremel and file down a bit the heat sink. Or add some washers between the PEEK and the print head PLA housing , this could help to push down your nozzle.
IMG_20131113_204345.jpg
Last edited by Hugues on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

hvdweerd

Post by hvdweerd »

When do you have problems?

- after cooling down and heated up, without filament in it
- after cooling down and heated up, with fillament in it

gobi

Post by gobi »

the way it usually goes is i heat up the head and push the filament in. extrude some of it and it all goes perfectly. then i start the print and you know right before printing it pushes some out as a test? then i can see the plastic isnt flowing seemlessly and after a few layers the filament just stops coming out.

alanh

Post by alanh »

I'm having the same problem. It seems the bearing is jamming against the heat sink as it's too high.

alanh

Post by alanh »

It turns out that I need to push the temperature from 195 to 210 with the new v4 head to get it to extrude correctly.