New hotend peek melted

JohnK1

Re: New hotend peek melted

Post by JohnK1 »

Hi Guys,

The same problem here too. As I posted in other thread my hot end was pushed out of the barrel during the print of ABS (around 250 ºC).
Cheers,
Jan

jefstaes

Post by jefstaes »

8-(

same thing happened here ...

work with pla ... installed new Simplify3D ... set on hot end to extrude ... neede new rol of pla ... and the hotend melted ... saw that temp stood on 220 degrees ... I think this happend with update because normaly I use less ...

wtf ...

Jef

jefstaes

Post by jefstaes »

exchanged some mails with felix company ... it was due a failing thermistor ... nothing to do with Simplify3D ... great service ... speedy response ... ordered some now parts. Any ideas how to predict a failing thermistor?
Jef

JohnK1

Post by JohnK1 »

I got NO answer back from the company. Failing thermistor? I think it is a bulsh... just to avoid a responsibility for usage of some poor quality Peek.Operating temperature of some grades is up to 250ºC (Wikipedia).
That's just mid-range of ABS!! So only way is to cool it down. Does the original design cools down the peek. NO! I call for responsibility for my damage felix company. I contacted them and they play dead. It is always something with this printer. I am seriously getting sick of it.
I just shifted the central fan 12mm down to get a bit of airflow around the peek. In any case looking for some different make of extruders.

stillcool40

Post by stillcool40 »

in defence of Felix....
I bought a bar of peek from ebay as I can make my own peek part. I have noticed it seems to have a significantly lower melting point than that specified and is certainly lower than the original peek part I got with the printer. I tested the original with a temp controlled soldering iron and the new peek melts at around 220

dodgy peek I think

JohnK1

Post by JohnK1 »

Well, I got a new peek too and the same problem again. I absolutely agree with the "Stillcool40". It is the problem of the peek's material grade, but I wouldn't take it as a defence of the Felix. They should make sure they supply high standard one.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I am happy to report some apx 100 hours of successful printing (over the last few months) in ABS with the new PEEK part. I print in 220C with no fan on and heated bed at max temp (reaches around 90-95C). I am not sure if it was the new PEEK part or the lower temp that solved the problem, but gone it is, and the results are great. (With the previous PEEK part that melted, I printed in 240C.) I even got rid of all warping problems after starting to use ABS juice. So, 100% happy here, great prints in ABS, PLA, NinjaFlex and PET. Practically no recalibration or printer tinkering needed anymore, so I can really focus on the CADing and making now. Felix 3.0 dual extruder. Thanks!

(If anything, a hotter bed would perhaps be on my wishlist, if it would mean no more need for the smelly ABS juice...)

chrono

Post by chrono »

Same story here. Extruder was set to 220°C and there was some slight overshot to about 240°C. In order not to blame it just on sub-standard PEEK there has been some investigation into the matter, to verify that temperatures reported by the system are actually accurate and not some sensor malfunction tainting the issue: https://apollo.open-resource.org/missio ... r-meltdown

In hindsight I suppose it's a combination of problems. The other (older hot-end from V2.0) never had any issues so there really might have been a bad batch of PEEK. However, I don't believe that most of us would deliberately go way above 220-230°C but it seems that the ADC is kinda prone to noise related issues. After removing the original thermistor cables and using a shielded USB cable (to get 4 wires, 2 for each thermistor in dual-head configuration) while the shield is connected to the GND port at the endstop terminals, there was a tremendous increase in temperature regulation stability.

So it might just happen in some cases, where sub-standard PEEK AND a momentary overshoot due to noise on the line would lead the PID to fully power the heating cartridge in order to keep up because it believes it self to be way below set point. If your printer sometimes just stops for no apparent reason during prints or even manages to report MINTEMP alerts it is very likely that you've got noise related problems. Hopefully we can get a new PEEK element to have both extruders working again. More on our printer on: https://apollo.open-resource.org/missio ... :picoprint

mrcncap

Post by mrcncap »

I have melted several of these at 250. After test with a digital thermometer I found that the setting reads low by 37c. Is there any way to calibrate the thermistor?

mrcncap

Post by mrcncap »

I am currently running ABS @ 185c. and no problems.