newbie help

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Lizzy Design

newbie help

Post by Lizzy Design »

Hi,
I am trying to find some more information about how this type of 3d Printing works and what the possibilities and limitations are of the felix 3 printer coming out. I have drawn and made projects for selective laser sintering but not for a filament based printer.

The 3D part is not a problem. I have drawn in 3D for the last 15 years. I am wondering what the steps are once you have the STL file? I read about slicing programs and various settings and calibrations.
So far I just created the file send it off to the 3D printing company and the next day or so I get the piece back. The idea however to be able to print my own stuff seems very appealing.

The question is if I just buy a felix 3 will I be able to print anything without prior knowledge of this type of printing? If not, are there tutorials or manuals which will help me along the way?

I see pieces created with overhangs. How is this done? In SLS the powder supports the structure but here this is different. Do you have to drawing support walls like in lithography and cut them away?
I have been looking on the web for some answers about this but seem to find very little. Maybe I am using the wrong keywords or looking in the wrong forums. Any help or pointers would be great.

I would love to buy the Felix 3 but I am a bit hesitant since I know so little about the process, ease of use and possibilities/limitations. :?

Thanks in advance.
Lizzy

Lizzy Design

Post by Lizzy Design »

Ok,
I have found a video from the maker of Slic3r which was very helpful and answered most of the questions I posted above. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4zPHULdm9k

So I suppose that slic3r can drive the Felix printer?

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

Yes, they can, moreover, it is already built into the program as well as kissliser. The program of the printer can be downloaded on the website in the download tab, it's called Skeinforge. Comfortable and, in principle, a simple program. You can learn more on the WIKI. Printer Felix, one of the best printers available on the market for 3D printing. Given that Guillaume long time working on the series 3.0, I am sure that the latter option includes the best from the previous versions. Moreover now you can print 2 colors or you can use PVA material supports. Felix 3.0 is a good choice.

satoer

Post by satoer »

If you already are familiar with 3D designing it’s fantastic to have a little toy factory on your desk. But please don’t expect the ease of printing a document out of a laser-printer. You have to be a bit handy and there’s a lot of figuring out what all the settings (there are a lot) exactly do. There will be a lot of trial and error before you master the printer to its full potential. And there will be frustration like warping objects, a broken thermistor or clogged extruder… I have even made upgrade parts myself to overcome some of the problems.

About the overhangs, don’t think 3D printing is limitless compared to injection molding. There are limitations. Try to design your objects with no large overhangs and the least amount of support possible. I’ts possible to print overhangs up to 45 degrees without support. Everything above that will get uglier. Also support makes your object ugly to remove. Bridging over two objects is also possible, but you might guess it… its ugly. The bottom of the bridge is full of molten strings. If the bottom isn’t important or visible, this shouldn’t be a problem, but try to minimize bridging as much as possible.

Don’t let this scare you. Just look around at all the fdm printed models here or on Thingiverse… it’s all possible. And it’s really fun once you’ve got the hang of it.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Lizzy Design

Post by Lizzy Design »

Thx guys,
Really appreciate your time for responding to me. It has been a great help. It sounds great fun even with the fiddling and failures.

I read that in order to drive a dual printer head files need to come in AMF or maybe in OBJ(?). I can convert to OBJ when I pass my models through 3DMax first but for AMF I am at a loss.
I am particularly interested in the dual head function since it allows printing supports in water soluble material. So in theory it should be possible to print movable part in one hit, like we do in SLS?
Or am I getting it wrong?

In slic3r I see that supports are put in automatically. Can you choose easily to have these printed with the other printer head (other material)? Has anyone worked with this water soluble material? Does it dissolve easily? What is it called and can it be ordered form Felixprinters? Are filaments from other manufactures compatible with the felixprinter?

Would you recommend buying an assembled version or a kit? Does assembly helps you understand the problem better when something goes wrong? Can one assemble the printer as accurate as a pre-assembled one (I am fairly handy)? Does the quality of assembly affect the quality of print?

I hope I am not asking too many questions?
Thx,
Lizzy

satoer

Post by satoer »

Lizzy Design wrote:So in theory it should be possible to print movable part in one hit, like we do in SLS?
Or am I getting it wrong?
Yes that's posible. But as I said, it's better to avoid supports.
Lizzy Design wrote:In slic3r I see that supports are put in automatically. Can you choose easily to have these printed with the other printer head (other material)?
Yes, you can select a different extruder for the perimeters, supports and infill, but only if Slicer generates the support. I currently don't know how to export a model to use dual extruders.

Personally I advise to get convenient with single extrusion first (of course you can buy the dual extrusion for that). I think dual extrusion is still a bit experimental. There are some problems like oozing out of the non-used extruder that are still not solved yet (I believe)
Lizzy Design wrote:Has anyone worked with this water soluble material? Does it dissolve easily? What is it called and can it be ordered form Felixprinters? Are filaments from other manufactures compatible with the felixprinter?
Haven't seen anyone on this form yet, but that's because the dual extruder isn't released yet. There are some custom dual extrusion Felixes over here, but can't remember if they tried water soluble material. Felix takes any 1.75mm fillament, but make sure the diameter does not exceed 1.9mm. I've read about some bad cheap filament blockage in the extruder because of this.
Lizzy Design wrote:Would you recommend buying an assembled version or a kit? Does assembly helps you understand the problem better when something goes wrong? Can one assemble the printer as accurate as a pre-assembled one (I am fairly handy)? Does the quality of assembly affect the quality of print?
You basically answered your own question. I'ts a learnfull experience to build your own printer. And if you're a bit handy I advise the kit. The assembly quality does indeed affect the print quality. Just make sure everything is straight and belts are thigh enough, then you're good to go.
Lizzy Design wrote:I hope I am not asking too many questions?
Nope, that's a forum for. I also find it always pleasant to get some personal advise. But there are a lot of problems and topics discussed already, so you might find it helpful to use the search function above to get information faster.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Lizzy Design

Post by Lizzy Design »

Many thanks for all the advice. I truly appreciate it.
I might try out your duplo railway star once I get the printer in. Seems a great addition to the existing tracks. Cheers for that. I'll send some pics when I get to that stage ...
Thanks again.