Information for Comparing 3D Printers

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Robert Weissbach

Information for Comparing 3D Printers

Post by Robert Weissbach »

Hello, I'm new to this forum (and to 3D printing) and have some questions that maybe some of you can answer. My department is looking to purchase some 3D printers and we are interested in comparing different models. Based on the 3D Printing Buyer's Guide in Make Magazine, a number of us are looking at different 3D printers, and I am interested in getting this information for the Felix 2.0 (the review being quite positive) to compare with 3D printers that others are investigating.

So, here are my questions:
a) How long does it take (approximately) to print a 4 x 4 x 4 inch (10 x 10 x 10 cm) cube using PLA (or ABS)?
b) How portable is the assembled system? Will it survive multiple journeys in a car?
c) How difficult is it to maintain the printer? And how much time is required to perform this maintenance, assuming preventative maintenance is necessary?
d) What parts tend to fail first on the printer, and will preventative maintenance help minimize the likelihood that these parts fail?
e) Are there price breaks on the purchase of multiple systems? Are there educational discounts?
f) Is the forum the principal means of customer support? Are there other ways to help tackle issues that arise with the Felix 2.0?
g) Is the Felix 3.0 already out? If it is, will it make the Felix 2.0 immediately obsolete?

Any responses to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rob

twicx

Post by twicx »

To put it simply:
a) depends on speed/quality (specs are on the main page)
b) Yes, I've taken mine back and forth to the office numerous times
c) Not difficult. You learn more, and little tricks as you get more familiar
d) With the new 3.0 version, moulded parts are extremely reliable. Even the older models were very reliable though.
e) Email the site and ask.
f) The 2.0 won't be obsolete, don't know if 3.0 is shipping.
g)

Robert Weissbach

Thank you twicx. It's good to get feedback (positive or negative) when trying to sift through all of the various models and variables.

Rob

seaton

Post by seaton »

in regards to b) don't leave it in the car (see a previous post of mine to see what happened when I did)
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

Robert Weissbach

Thanks seaton, that's good info. I'll remember the 60 degree limit.

Rob