Advice Needed on Using ABS - Anybody use ABS ?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Kalidopixel

Advice Needed on Using ABS - Anybody use ABS ?

Post by Kalidopixel »

Hi All :)

I Really Want to Print some Parts in ABS. But Thought i Better ask other Felix owners who Use ABS for some pointers before Jumping in and making a Big Melting Felix Mistake.

What i have done so Far

(1) Printed a Spare X Axis Mounting Plate - Just in case it Starts to Soften due to higher Temperature.

(2) Lowered the Currant on the Y Axis Motor so it runs cooler / Just in case the extra Temperature of the Hotbed causes any problems.

(3) At Present i Am Just Insulating the underside of the Heat-bed.

(4) Ordered a 3MM Acrylic Sheet to print onto

Is There anything else anybody who has experience of printing in ABS on a Felix 2.0 can share or advise me on.

I Do Not want to damage the Felix so any Advice to do with ABS Printing is Greatly Received :)

Thank's in Advance :)

hvdd

Post by hvdd »

hoi,
my experience ( 2 or 3 spools of ABS printed)
1: heated bed not isolated ( temp set to 70°C)
after first 2 layers switch heated bed off.
2: extruder temp set to 238°C
3: ventilator off from the beginning - no ventilator.
4: heated bed with glass plate 3mm
5: "Pritt" glue on glassplate when warm.

speed at 100 and flow 100.

rgds

Kalidopixel

Post by Kalidopixel »

Hi hvdd - Thank's for your Reply i Greatly Appreciate your Input & Advice :)

I have printed many spools of PLA all Came out Great after fine tuning but ABS is a new Field for me.

You said to set Heated bed to 70°C - Have you had any warping or lifting Corners ?

I already have some 3mm glass i took out of a faulty flatbed scanner :) so i can use that.

Have you had any problems with the Felix running at the higher temps ?

The glue your talking about is that the Glue thats in a plastic Cylinder and you use it like a pen to glue paper together ??

THANKS for your help so far :)

hvdd

Post by hvdd »

the glue is like you specify, paperglue.
fit best on hot glassplate ( i use also a faulty flatbedscanner glas)

problems with lifting corners i had also, but with the glue and no ventilator it is almost null.
avoid also cold air ( ambiant air flow) to the printer, in the winter it makes a difference...

i had one problem, at 250°c the isolating piece in the extruder deformed and the tread was not repaireble... replacing this piece was the solution.

swapping from PLA to ABS - no problem, swapping back give sometimes problems, if some rests of ABS stay in the extruder and will not pass at 195°...
ABS is shrinking a lot when cooling, but can be cleaned up with aceton.
PLA keep better dimensions, but is difficult to clean up - how ?

Kalidopixel

Post by Kalidopixel »

Hi Again hvdd

Thank's for all your Pointers & Advice - Very Very Much Appreciated :)

What I will do is Get a Spare PEEK Isolator before i try to do a ABS Print & Follow your Instructions.

As it's Now Christmas Eve , I will have to Wait until New Year to Try the ABS - But I will Let you Know how it Goes !

Have a Very Happy Christmas to you , Your Family & Everybody on the Forum !

satoer

Post by satoer »

I also use Pritt, but the Pritt "Power" version, not the regular. On a 70 degrees heated glass plate. I don't turn the heating off, does turning the heater off work better hvdd? I do use a large 1CM brim around the object to prevent warping.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Kalidopixel

Post by Kalidopixel »

Hi Satoer - Happy New Year Mate for 2014

Just Ordered 2X 1KG 1.75mm ABS in Silver Colour from Amazon U.K for £21.50 each , Should be here next week.

I will also try to get some "PRITT POWER" as you recommend Satoer.

Also was thinking of ordering a complete Hot End & Using this Hot-end for ABS Only, But I will Have to find Some Quick Electrical Connectors to make Swapping it more Quick + Easy to switch Hot-ends.

This way i Should not have any problems switching back to PLA from ABS

Do you think this is a wise move or not ?

Also is there any quick way of swapping the Glass without having to keep unscrewing & repositioning the Z Limit Vane - I Find that to Set the Z on my Printer the Screw is not Enough & I have to move the Whole Part up or Down.

Thank's for your Advice Satoer

Kalidopixel

Post by Kalidopixel »

Update on Progress with ABS

I was unable to get Power Pritt Glue Locally so tried with the Standard Pritt Glue.

But this would not work as the Part kept breaking bond with the build Surface. As you Said I think it needs to be Power Pritt Glue.

So I Spent a whole night Researching ABS Printing on Various Forums to find a workaround

And came across so many Bizarre Suggestions that Boggle your Mind on how people came up with them in the first place.

Here is just some of them :)

- Blue Painters Tape on Glass / Vero PCB PerfBoard / Masking Tape on Aluminum / Anti Static Bag Plastic Tapped to Heatbed / HairSpray on Glass / ABS Mixed with Acetone / Anti Static Foam …….. ….. ….

So I had a Good choice and decided to try a few of them to see if they worked for me

I Kept the Temps the same as you all suggested & Tried as Follows

(1) Hair Spray on Glass Works Reasonable but mine Failed at around 8MM Height

Failure was Item Popped of Build Surface due to warping...

(2) Perf Board - Had No Success at all with this Method - Could not get First Layer Down at all

(3) ABS & ACETONE Mixed and Spread onto Heatbed with Kapton Tape ( No Glass )

This worked so Well i Had Real Difficulty getting the Felix to give me part Back :)

So I am Going to have to play with ( Acetone & ABS Mix Ratio ) & Alter Bed Temp

But i Happy this works - I am sure Power pritt would work but i Just can not get it locally.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

don't want to discourage you but i kind of gave up on ABS,
discussed here at length, tried many way to get it to stick to the bed,
http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=335

in my opinion, even if you get it to stick to the bed, if you print large parts, they will bend or warp and the dimensions might end up to be wrong.

I was fighting ABS so i could get a smooth finish surface after bathing the part in Acetone vapor. But even that advantage turned out to be not that great, the part became too soft.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to print with ABS ? I find PLA quite stiff finally, after printing dozens and dozens of parts. And so much easier to print, less smell, less heat on the printer parts.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Kalidopixel

Post by Kalidopixel »

Hi Hugues.

I Really Like the properties of ABS - It's Better at Heat Resistance, Less Brittle than PLA , & Will not Degrade if Exposed to some Chemicals or Harsh Weather.

Don't Get me Wrong i also like PLA for it's good point's and have printed Many PLA Things. But from an Engineering point of view ABS has some good points too that i want too explore.

Not that the Thermal Shrinkage of ABS is one of them good points - LOL

But I Like to try New Things & Learn from my Mistakes as i Learn :)