Advice Needed on Using ABS - Anybody use ABS ?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

satoer

Re: Advice Needed on Using ABS - Anybody use ABS ?

Post by satoer »

Kalidopixel wrote: & Will not Degrade if Exposed to some Chemicals...
Don't agree with this part of the statement. PLA is extremely resistant to chemicals. Don't know how they do it, since the main ingredient is corn but the only dissolvement I have found was dichloromethane chloride. And that's pretty nasty stuff.
Accetone, terpetine, thiner and even Hydrochloric acid didn't even dissolved the PLA.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

satoer wrote:
Kalidopixel wrote: & Will not Degrade if Exposed to some Chemicals...
Don't agree with this part of the statement. PLA is extremely resistant to chemicals. Don't know how they do it, since the main ingredient is corn but the only dissolvement I have found was dichloromethane chloride. And that's pretty nasty stuff.
Accetone, terpetine, thiner and even Hydrochloric acid didn't even dissolved the PLA.

+1

i`ve tried lots of chemicals and nothing works, it is extremely durable filament, when summer comes ill try to leave part in the sun for maybe week or two and see if that hurts the part :D
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Mayhem wrote:... when summer comes ill try to leave part in the sun for maybe week or two and see if that hurts the part :D
A week or two ?

The first part below i printed in JUne. Since then it sits on the beam holding the pool cover outside. Splashed with chlorinated water, burning under the sun all day, now enduring rain and freezing temperature at night. I just took the picture now for you guys, the PLA has not changed at all, same stiffness, no deformation, no stain.

The second one is an outdoor lamp shade, or a tentative lamp shade :-), been outside for 3 months, 1mm thick i think, no changes yet.
IMG_20140110_214320.jpg
IMG_20140110_214320.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20140110_214404.jpg
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Kalidopixel

Post by Kalidopixel »

Thank's for that info and Images on PLA Resistance to Chemicals :)

I Really thought Chlorine would have made the PLA a lot more Brittle by Depolmerization.

That's a Real Plus for PLA

Also I was wrong in Presuming that water would break down PLA Because it's classed as a bio Degradable Polymer.

I Know Some people are using PLA as a Dissolvable support Material by using

Propan-2-OL + 1% Aluminium Oxide as a Catalist - I think this was on one of the forums i was browsing while looking for answers on making ABS Bond to Build surface.

As for the ABS Experiment - It's Going Well :) - Using the ABS & ACETONE mix as a Pre Surface Treatment to aid Bonding i am getting Reasonably good results. The First Prints i done Warped Badly but after playing with ABS / ACETONE Ratio the Parts are Turning Out O.K

But I will still try the Power Pritt Glue If i can find it Locally as the Parts can be hard to Remove from the Bed - But I Have found that Waiting till they are Really Cool - 40+ Mins Makes this much more Easy

Results So FAR

These Were Done Using - ABS JUICE / Extruder = 230 / SPEED = 95 / FLOW = 90 / BED = 75

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

PLA's biodegradable in the sense that after 2 years in a landfill, exposed to sun and weather, it should break down (unlike the 2000 it'll probably take ABS), but in a controlled environment like your house it should be very durable.

Kalidopixel

Post by Kalidopixel »

Even Withstanding Landfill / Sun Light & Water for 2 Years is Still Very Impressive for a Bio Degradable Material.

I Had it in my Mind that PLA Had to be Kept Dry most of the time & Away from Harsh Chemicals at all Costs.

So I Really only Need ABS When Making Items that will be Exposed to Higher Temps than PLA can cope with safely or Places where the parts will endure High Shocks & Stresses.

Thank's for all the Information on ABS vs PLA & Getting me started on ABS Printing I do Appreciate Peoples time.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Nice chart comparing ABS and PLA
http://www.makeitfrom.com/compare-mater ... olylactide

For higher temperature, ABS is better, but for strenght, the chart sometimes shows PLA better than ABS if I'm not mistaken
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

KiwiSimon

Post by KiwiSimon »

Did anyone try PET? It prints at lower temps, and doesn't degrade like PLA. I am hoping to use Taulman T-Glase instead of ABS!

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

KiwiSimon wrote:..., and doesn't degrade like PLA.
Have you got pictures of degraded PLA and conditions under which it happened ?
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

Kalidopixel wrote:Thank's for that info and Images on PLA Resistance to Chemicals :)

I Really thought Chlorine would have made the PLA a lot more Brittle by Depolmerization.

That's a Real Plus for PLA

Also I was wrong in Presuming that water would break down PLA Because it's classed as a bio Degradable Polymer.

I Know Some people are using PLA as a Dissolvable support Material by using

Propan-2-OL + 1% Aluminium Oxide as a Catalist - I think this was on one of the forums i was browsing while looking for answers on making ABS Bond to Build surface.

As for the ABS Experiment - It's Going Well :) - Using the ABS & ACETONE mix as a Pre Surface Treatment to aid Bonding i am getting Reasonably good results. The First Prints i done Warped Badly but after playing with ABS / ACETONE Ratio the Parts are Turning Out O.K

But I will still try the Power Pritt Glue If i can find it Locally as the Parts can be hard to Remove from the Bed - But I Have found that Waiting till they are Really Cool - 40+ Mins Makes this much more Easy

Results So FAR

These Were Done Using - ABS JUICE / Extruder = 230 / SPEED = 95 / FLOW = 90 / BED = 75
Have you tried printing ABS directly on KAPTON? I generally print small ABS parts on KAPTON @ 100 degrees and get excellent results. No warping and the parts are hard to get off. I did experiment with ABS & Acetone (aka ABS Juice) but got very mixed results. You might find that it's the Kapton and not the ABS juice that is helping.

For parts that have a large surface area in contact with the bed, I use Pritt Power glue stick. I can't get it here either, but you can find it on eBay.

If you want to use the bed at 100 degrees you MUST have your extruder parts printed in ABS first.
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)