Advice Needed on Using ABS - Anybody use ABS ?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

cbensch

Re: Advice Needed on Using ABS - Anybody use ABS ?

Post by cbensch »

I'm a newbie and not a pro - which to me makes it even more meaningful that I have been able to print ABS with no additives other than the kapton tape that came with my 2.0. My extruder is at 250 and the bed at 65. I tried higher bed settings but notice the center of the bed will warp. 65 Seems to work wonderfully. I clean the bed after each print with alcohol and when the print is combined with a raft I have zero problems whatsoever. The key seems to be the speed and flow rates in the manual tab of Repetier Host. I print small, delicate parts at a feed rate of 50 and a flow rate of 130. I print larger models with steps of 10 between 50 and as high as 90 (depending on the complexity of the print) but keep the flow rate at 130. VERY IMPORTANT - I slow down the speed when printing the raft. I will also slow down the feed rate to 40 when the extruder gets to delicate parts of a model.

Here are my raft settings:
Attachments
RAFT 2.jpg
RAFT 1.jpg

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

Interesting. I don't print a raft at all. I mostly don't even print a brim. I find a brim will lift more readily than the model and then the lifting continues through to the model.

I guess, I'm too lazy to have to deal with a raft after job has printed. I generally print medium to larger sized pieces.
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)

MiguelKendrick

Post by MiguelKendrick »

Based on my experience, I noticed that ABS filaments should use a heated print bed when printing. Print bed temperature should be set at approximately 80° to 100 °C. I actually got several tricks at 3d2print.net (it's also my filament supplier) to get the first layer of my ABS print to stick better to the print bed of my 3D printer.