Felix 3.0 Upgrade

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

mrlate

Re: Felix 3.0 Upgrade

Post by mrlate »

Has anyone tried the Kraken hotend?

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

There is an open topic in the upgrade section in this forum.

The Kraken is right now only to preorder.
The E3D v5 Hotend is working great for me
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

narret

Post by narret »

Hi all

I posted this message in the Fleix 3.0 section also

I purchased a Felix 3.0 duel head DIY kit but they sent me a 2.0

The supplier said they could send me an upgrade kit when more stock arrives and that I could start using the 2.0 until it arrives.

So my question, is the 3.0 upgrade kit a full upgrade from the 2.0 or is it just some components (are the motors and electrics also the same), am I better off just sending the 2.0 back and waiting for the 3.0 to arrive.

Appreciate any advice you could provide me.

Thank you.

thefly

Post by thefly »

I wish to know if it will be ever available!

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

I never had a 2.0, but I get the sense there may be a few significant differences - obviously there's all the injection molded parts, and I think the extruder carriage is somewhat different in design. Also, did the 2.0 have the Hi-Win ball-bearing linear slide rails? Those are pretty nice and solid. The bed is a sandwich of aluminum which I gather has had some modifications to be heated more evenly and to be flatter overall. Not sure what else was changed. The electronics in the 3.0 is labeled v2.1, not sure what changed from 2.0 or earlier.

twicx

Post by twicx »

As much as I'd love a 3.0 upgrade, I'm going a different route. Just about to order 2 x NEMA 14 motors, a RUMBA board, a NEMA 17 Linear guide motor (for Z axis), new HIWIN rail, 2 x NEMA 11 geared motors and 2 x E3D v5 hot ends. I suspect it'll be about the same price as all that, but it's gonna be mammoth upgrade month in february! :D

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

Yes thought also to upgrade to the Rumba board and 32 steps motor drivers for axis
Give updates when you did your update
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

twicx

Post by twicx »

my two queries with the RUMBA board is, 1) would 32 steps allow me to print smaller layer heights/more accurately and 2) the current 3.0 seems to only allow supports to be printed with Extruder 2. I wonder if it's possible to change this with the setup I'm going with? How do other dual-extruder printers work as far as printing in 2 materials??

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I believe you can select which extruder to use for support material in all the slicers that support dual extrusion.

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

I'd also be wary of the idea that really high micro stepping multipliers will produce correspondingly more accurate prints. It helps up to a point but there are definitely limitations.