New Box For Electronics.

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
kennethagiusmosta

New Box For Electronics.

Post by kennethagiusmosta »

Hi to all,

I redesigned a "new" Electronics Box which I believe it has some advantages compared to the original. Among;

1) Box is bigger, wires are more in place.
2) Used a bigger cooling fan and connected it to 12v rather than 5v
..........cooling improved for sure
3) Used fan with leds. You know when the machine is connected to mains and switched on and that the psu is working.
4) Electronics are easier to reach when service/setting is needed.
5) It's tougher, walls are 2.5 mm.
6) No lid screws.
7) Electronics are screwed on.

The only disadvantage I see is that since the box is higher so it had to be reallocated & rewired. Felix is now wider.

Photos attached below;
DSCN0370.jpg
DSCN0371.jpg
DSCN0380.jpg
DSCN0384.jpg
DSCN0385.jpg
DSCN0386.jpg
Thanks
Kenneth

kennethagiusmosta

Below please find STL files of the design;
felix_zee_electronics_box.stl
(538.11 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
felix_zee_electronics_fangaurd.stl
(225.39 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
felix_zee_electronics_lid.stl
(28.97 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
felix_zee_electronics_mountingclip.stl
(30.96 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Comments are welcome!

Thanks
Kenneth

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Hi Kenneth,

Although the new box is a little bit too visible for my likings it is really nice to see that you are doing customizations on your Felix!

Might I suggest that you try to reposition it on the back side of the extrusion (you might have to update the design though). I think it should be possible without crashing into something. That way it would almost "disappear" when viewing the printer from the front. Actually this got my mind spinning and I might try this with my existing RAMPS box :)

With the RAMPS box moved away from the bottom you should be able to get extra printable height :)

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Kjetilei wrote:With the RAMPS box moved away from the bottom you should be able to get extra printable height :)
Actually, no really, the limit is not the case but the z axis coupling

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Loric: At least for me it is the box, but I might have placed it too far to the right :)

But I see your point about the coupler. A little redesign of the y-axis base and the z-axis stepper mount would give even more printable height...

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Kenneth: forgot to ask you if you have any photos of the PSU mod? And how do you plan to mount the LCD/SD module? :)

kennethagiusmosta

Kjetilei: I don't have any plans to mount the LCD/SD. I tried it, but honestly, it's a pain. I don't like it at all!
From the PSU, I removed does extra wires/plugs which are not needed- 4th photo above. Easily done with a soldering iron and some shrinkable tubing. Some care is to be taken, PSU is quite compact.

The box: Esthetically it's a horrendous sort-of -shoe-box. The fan can be mounted on the inside but still remains ugly. On a positive note, wires are better organized. Air circulation is better for sure. If you hack things like me then the mounting position is there to stay.

Thanks for your comments
Kenneth

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Hi Kenneth,

Do I understand you correctly: you do not like the LCD/SD module at all? If you would like to I could buy it from you if the price is ok :) PM me if it sounds interesting :)

Regarding PSU: I noticed that you had removed the excess cables but wondered if you had happened to take any photos of the process (to show the internals of the PSU)

The box: functionality over beauty. Often a good choice... And as you say it is a better placement for hackability.

kennethagiusmosta

Hi Kjetilei,

PSU: Sorry, I don't have any photos of the PSU internals.

In brief:
MAKE SURE ************** UNPLUG THE UNIT BEFORE STARTING ***********
1. Remove the cover (screws are visible).
2. Remove the PCB (there are 4 screws at the corners) leaving fan & main cables attached to the PCB.
3. Lift the PCB (from the low voltage side) and unsolder all wires. A solder suction tool is useful.
4. Clean excess solder to clear holes.
5. Brush some thinner/alcohol to remove extra flux.
6. Re-solder wires needed.
7. Repeat step 5.
8. Refit PCB and close cover lid.

Note:
The "green to ground wire" (to make the psu on) left inside the PSU. Orange wires (3.3v) are not needed.
It's more or less an hour job. If you're going to undertake the job and need help just let me know.. :)

LCD:I will retry-it in future so for now, I rather like to keep it.

Thanks.
Kenneth

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Kenneth:
Thanks for the description and for the help offer :) It would be great getting rid of all the excess wires but I haven't decided yet if I should do it or not. The scary part is the possibility of electric shock/electrocution if you accidentally put your fingers/screw driver in the wrong place...

LCD/SD: I hope you get it working the way you want it to/get comfortable wit the way it works :) I have been holding back a little from buying a LCD/SD panel due to teaser from Panucatt Devices for their (his) soon to be released VersaPanel. It looks promising :) I have also been looking into fitting a Bluetooth module to a LCD/SD panel and I have found some implementations. This would free our Felix printers from USB cables (but I wonder how it would affect the green "power" wire mod since today the fan starts if the usb cable is unplugged...).