Cantilever problems?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

falconisimator

Cantilever problems?

Post by falconisimator »

I'm considering buying the Felix 3.0 but in discussing this with /r/3Dprinting they expressed distrust of the cantilevered design. Does this cause problems with large prints or is this not an issue with the Felix? I love everything about the design except for the cantilever which is keeping me pretty wary.

twicx

Post by twicx »

I wonder how many of them actually own/have tested them. My guess is, 0.

The cantilever has never presented problems. When you own one, and you see just how solid the support actually is, it's really not supporting that much. On top of this, the plastic material that fdm printers print with is pretty damn light, so it's not going to put any sort of excessive weight on it.

Just look at the reviews in the likes of the MAKE magazine. It pretty much hammers the opposition, and you don't see any mention of a weak cantilever in those, do you?

falconisimator

Post by falconisimator »

Thank you, This was my one worry about the felix. There are people there with other cantilever printers there who say that they have significant problems but it's nice to see someone with a felix saying it's strong enough.

twicx

Post by twicx »

The only problem I've seen here is when someone left it in a car in the ridiculous heat and it melted, but even that wont be an issue as it's now made with injection molded parts.