Trouble prining solid infil

lammert

Re: Trouble prining solid infil

Post by lammert »

I had exactly the same problem and solved it by placing the filament in the oven (at 45C) for 8 hours.

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

Yeah I did that as a test and it worked. I don't want to have do that all the time. I have 1KG of silica gel in my two boxes to dry it out. I have gotten the humidity from 50% to 30% so far.
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

lammert wrote:I had exactly the same problem and solved it by placing the filament in the oven (at 45C) for 8 hours.
Did you put the whole spool in the oven?
Ben

lammert

Post by lammert »

Capella_Ben wrote:
lammert wrote:I had exactly the same problem and solved it by placing the filament in the oven (at 45C) for 8 hours.
Did you put the whole spool in the oven?
Yes, including the spool. But it seems that 8 hours was to short, so I dried it again for a few hours.

Now I put back the filament into a airtight bag after each print.

Tim

Post by Tim »

I know this might go against everything that is normal, but I was having the exact same problem. I am printing on kypton tape and clean the bed right before I print with Denatured alcohol . On the first couple layers, I found that with 198 degrees at the print head, 65 on the bed, and the magic for me was INCREASING the speed to 275% during those layers. Common methods is decreasing speed, but it seems that the excess heat causes the previous layers to lift off, since I have been doing this I have had nearly no parts curl or come loose. I have found that when printing in draft that if you leave the speed to high it starts to clip some of the infill if it is printed in draft mode, so just back down the speed after the first couple solid layers. Hope it works for you as well.

Tim

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

Very novel approach Tim! 8-) I might try that if it happens again. Thanks.
Ben

mcorb

Post by mcorb »

Hi there,

can I just ask which material the humidiy problem applies to? ABS or PLA or both?
Much appreciated,
M

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

It applies to both. However I found different symptoms; PLA didn't stick to the bed and ABS jammed in the extruder.

If you print in Nylon (like Taluman 618) you will have even more of a problem as it absorbs a lot of water and does it fast.

I just received a new batch of PLA and unfortunately all the bags they came in were un-sealed due to poor packaging. This means that they all had humidity problems and I now have to dry them all out before I can use them.

It's pretty hot and humid here at the moment.
Ben

mcorb

Post by mcorb »

Hi Ben,

thanks for the info. Just send some of the heat down to Tassie where we are. Could do with a bit more summer before autumn sets in. :-)
Good luck with the drying out,
M