Noticed a minor error in the 3.0 assembly manual

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
andrewsi

Noticed a minor error in the 3.0 assembly manual

Post by andrewsi »

In step 66 for the single-head version, the instructions call out "2x bolts M4x12". However, the picture only shows one bolt being inserted, and I believe that's correct for this version, so the text should just read "1x bolt M4x12."

For the most part, I feel the assembly process went very smoothly and I was really impressed with the clarity of the instructions. However, I also ran into a few other minor issues during assembly that I think are worth mentioning:

In step 56, I think it's important to call out the necessity of making sure that the nut on the tensioner bolt is carefully seated in its recess and is loose enough on the shaft to be seated properly and held well by the two molded halves of the extruder carriage. If it's too tight, it can come loose or strip out its recess in the extruder head later, leading to tensioning problems.

In step 57, an M4 thin nut is placed in another hexagonal recess to receive a bolt later, but the angle the picture is shown at, and the placement of the arrow, led me to initially place it in the slot (oriented 90 degrees differently) meant for a different bolt. I later realized the mistake when there was nothing for the bolt to thread into and had to disassemble things again to put it in the correct place.

Last, the 3.0 electronics box. Multiple issues:
1) At step 112, there is no mention that 4 more thin nuts should be inserted in the rails meant to receive the bolts when the top cover is finally placed in the last step. Without them, there's nothing for those bolts to thread into.
2) There were two glued plastic pieces inside the electronics box to help support the mainboard. These were not attached well and came unglued even before completing assembly. I went back with some 5-minute 2 part epoxy and made sure those suckers are never coming out again.
3) I felt that the PC board should really be attached firmly to its box before doing all the wiring. As it stands, it tended to slip around in and out of place a lot while working on it, which made me somewhat afraid of damaging it, but the only thing holding it in is 2 of the four final box cover screws, and that's only after the top is finally put on the very end.
4) Lastly, alignment of all the injection molded box pieces was quite poor (partially due to the way the mainboard wound up sitting in the bottom portion), and it took a fair amount of squeezing to get everything in the right place so that the box cover bolts could be tightened down properly to close it up. I dread the thought of opening it up again the first time I have to change a thermistor or the heating element or something.

These minor gripes aside, I think this is a fantastic kit and my first few prints have come out really nicely! Working on really dialing in the calibration and flow rate values with the PLA I bought from Zen Toolworks. (180-185C seems like a good temp, but wall thickness may be off, I think.)

Zennix

Post by Zennix »

Hi,
this weekend, I finished the mechanical part of my new Felix 3.0 Dual.
By screwing arround I found additional failures in the assembly manual.

Step 66
For tighten the head assembly to the rail you have to insert one/two small M4 nuts in the back of the head assembly. Otherwise you are not able to fix it with the bolts in step 66 or 66a.

Step 70
The 2,2 x 8 screws are not long enough for fixing the optical sensor. You have to use longer ones. (not in the kit)

Step 115
my cabels don´t have labels. So, before you put all of it together, it´s a good idea to put stickers to the devices like the Motors and the associated wires. Otherwies you have to put it appart again like I did.

Step 122a
The wireing for the fans at the dual Extruder Version. In the schematics the fan 2 (hot end) is connected to "fan optional". Have a look at step 123. Here the "port fan" optional is unconnected.

I don´t know whats correct in this case. I think, opt has to be unconnected. May be somebody of you can help, because wireing is my next step.

Greetings / Zennix

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

Yes, 122a is also wrong as you've described. The hot end fan should be the same as in the single extruder version.