Electronical upgrade (Rumba board) + E3D Kraken

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
twicx

Re: Electronical upgrade (Rumba board) + E3D Kraken

Post by twicx »

It looks like it, but not with the sd breakout board. I'll take a photo when I'm home

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

I'm pretty sure that the board will fit in.
There is in thingiverse an cover availbale so it should be easy to check.
http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=rumba

i personally fear as the electrical connections if you do not use the special cables, have to be scrued from outside it will make rework necessary.

But for me it looks like the board is a little bit smaller.

Update:
Just soldered my 32microstep motor drivers yesterday and waiting for my new power supply; arriving today 400W 12V usable up to 33A
Kraken is still not sent

As soon as i got my power supply I'm starting to play and test motor driveres
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

Makron

Post by Makron »

More pictures pls :D

twicx

Post by twicx »

I didn't think of checking the power supply... Surely the existing one will be ok for what I'm doing??

I'm not really doing any work on it till I've all the parts, but the motors dispatched today, and the hot ends should come pretty quick too.

Bachgassenbande

twicx wrote:I didn't think of checking the power supply... Surely the existing one will be ok for what I'm doing??

I'm not really doing any work on it till I've all the parts, but the motors dispatched today, and the hot ends should come pretty quick too.
The Felix power supply is for sure sufficient, but it's an modified Computer power supply and you have to find out how to attach to the board. Think Google helps
The board has 2x 12-35V + and - input

On the other hand; I wont dissassamble my Fleix right now till I tried every component on the new board and therefore a 2nd power supply for testing is needed (for me)
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

Bachgassenbande

Makron wrote:More pictures pls :D
Will post some when set up the board and the power supply
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

Bachgassenbande

Rumba board and Display connected and drivers uploaded.
Did take me a few hours as I had troubles to compile the marlin code (my failure as I had not the right libaries in my Andurio folder)

Display and Board working
Still waiting for my hotend

In the meantime I will print board holder and display enclosure
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

twicx

Post by twicx »

Wow good progress! So you now have your Felix with the display and card reader but running on a rumba and all the original motors, hot end etc??

Bachgassenbande

Just did a try test with the components.
E3D Hotend
and original Felix hardware.

Just printing with the old board the needed cases, after that I will attach the board completly to the Felix.....
Updates will follow
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

twicx

Post by twicx »

oh crap...

so I managed to order some toothed-hobs for feeding the fillament in the wrong size. They've a 5mm bore, 8mm diameter. Thought I could drill them out, managed to drill out the teeth. Mega disaster.

HOWEVER

With the rumba board, I got 3 nice new pulleys, like the ones for the belt that drives the X and Y axis. They've a 5mm bore, but they're much wider on the interior than the hobs i got. I wonder could I drill them out and use them as a hobbed pulley for the extruder. Any ideas/input?

Also, just got one of those lovely emails from fedex to say there's 2 nice shiny new hot ends sitting at home for me! So I now have everything I need to design/make the extruder. I came across a very nice extruder design that I'm also going to take some ideas from: http://shapedo.com/alebambi81/directdri ... _hotend_pr