HELP - New 2.0 First Print Fail

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

cbensch

HELP - New 2.0 First Print Fail

Post by cbensch »

Hello from Connecticut, U.S. - Just finished my DIY 2.0 and it's calibrated and ready to go. Only I can't get my first test print to complete successfully. In the beginning the extruder spits out a little filament which always seems to get carried along with it and it ruins the first layer of the print. Additionally, the flow from th extruder seems low.

FYI I'm printing in SFACT 3.1 High Quality No Support.

Manual settings are:

Feedrate 100
Flowrate 100
Extruder 205 C
Bed 65 C
Fan 100%

I'm sampling PLA as instructed but eventually I'd like to get to ABS for it's finishing properties.

I'm so exapsterated I can't even explain. :evil: Thank you in advance for pointers.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Have a tweezer ready to pick up the blob that is extruded in the beginning (I do it super quick immediately after the extrusion stops)

Ensure that the distance between the hot end and bed is close enough (1 paper height)
Ensure that the bed is clean (or better in the beginning when dialing in the printer, use painters tape)
Adjust the Flow multiply slider under the print panel tab in Repetier - more than 100% is fatter prints
Run some of the calibration prints available on Thingiverse etc to dial in the printer

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Thank you! I'll bump up the flow rate to 125 and see what happens. I'll also give the tweezer thing a shot.

I used the orange tape that Felix sent with the kit. It's supposed to be the best "stick" there is. And my z-calibration is a single sheet of paper from the exstruder so it seems maybe my settings are good but something else is off. :roll:

At this point I don't know what I've gotten myself into. If I can't even get a sample print made then how on earth am I going to do the more complicated prints I have in mind?! Oy.

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Still practically nothing coming out. I don't understand why. When I do a manual extruder at 10mm it seems fine.

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

It's working! This thing is neat! Now that it works anyway... :D

1) The tensioner was too loose.
2) I had the dial in the z axis so it was closer to the table.
3) I put a fresh wipe of alcohol over the tape. Looks great now!