Gcode "out of memory"

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

cbensch

Gcode "out of memory"

Post by cbensch »

Hi All. When slicing in SFACT at High Quality No Support I get an error saying "out of memory" ater about an hour of slicing. I believe that the GCode file is much too large. If that is the case, can someone confirm? And if so, any idea how to reduce the gcode file size? Just a note, this was a small minion character I found on Thingiverse that I wanted to test my ABS settings on.

I found a note somewhere else that idicated that I can reduce the file size by pressing the Configure button from the Repetier Host Slicer tab and then pressing the Export button. There is a button for "GCode Small" in there.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

There may be problems with the model that are causing the gcode to explode in complexity. Suggestions:
  • Use the netfabb free tool, or their cloud service, to try to repair the model and see if it slices any better afterwards.
  • Try one of the other common slicers, e.g. Kisslicer or Slic3r, to see if they handle the file any better. At they very least, they will be much faster to return results than SFACT/Skeinforge.

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with the other slicers. So, let's assume for the moment that I wanted to stay with SFACT slicing. Has anyone experienced this error and know how to fix it? I imagine that a complex print that is printed in high quality will require a large amount of memory. :?:

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

I've seen some _very_ complex prints processed through SFACT printed at layer heights of, say, .05mm, that do not have this problem, which is why I tend to think it's more likely that it's a problem with the model geometry rather than a real slicer limitation.

When you installed Repetier Host, some version of Slic3r was included by default, so you should be able to easily switch to it on the Slicer tab. There are later versions of it out there than what's in the integrated "Felix" release, though, and you'll need to spend a little time learning how to tweak its parameters to get decent results. I can export some settings and post them if you can't get it to work to your satisfaction. While the results from SFACT are generally good, it's considered pretty old and very slow at this point, and a lot of people have migrated to the other two slicers.

The Felix download site also has some predefined profiles for Kisslicer you can download that make it pretty simple to use, although unfortunately it's not integrated directly into Repetier in the same fashion as the others, so you load your STL model in Kisslicer, slice it, output the gcode, and then just load the gcode directly into the Gcode tab in Repetier to print it.

I should also point out that the final GCODE file size is largely irrelevant, assuming that what's in it is valid in the first place. The instructions in GCODE are processed in a purely sequential fashion and they're doled out to the printer firmware a line or two at a time, so there's never a need to process a large quantity of the file at once, once it's been generated. This is how an Arduino with a RAM capacity of only a few K can print something arbitrarily complex.

satoer

Post by satoer »

"I should also point out that the final GCODE file size is largely irrelevant, assuming that what's in it is valid in the first place."
Well... I have had problems crashing Repetier Host sending large G-code files from a laptop with XP and 2GB ram. I eventually solved it by using the command line interface from pronterface. Now I use a SD card directly in the printer for large files.

For testing purposes: Can you try to shrink the model in repetier host to 10% scale and slice it with the same settings? Does it crashes?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

I will grant you that my experience has been on machines that aren't quite so tightly RAM constrained and running a newer OS that's not about to be completely end-of-lifed by the manufacturer. :-)