Upgrade from bed 2.0 to sandwich bed 3.0

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
temo

Upgrade from bed 2.0 to sandwich bed 3.0

Post by temo »

Hello
I'm about to upgrade my bed to the new 3.0 sandwich bed and are having some thoughts I want to share.

I'm thinking of using some thin picture-glass as a changeable print-surface, so I've been thinking, should I put the kapton heater on top of the new 3.0 sandwich bed so i get the heat closer to the glass-plate and avoid heating up the underlying carriage? I probably will have to buy a new heater then, as the leads come out the middle on the stock heater from Felix.

What if i not glue on the heater at all but put it inverted down onto an 3 mm heat-barrier http://vangbo.no/index.php?route=produc ... uct_id=127 with cutouts for the leads an then just put the glass on top, hold down by some paperclips?

Or I could of course stick the heater to the old table and put it on top of the new as a heat spreader, but I would probably add to much weight and I would need some cornerbrackets to hold it all in place, I think.

Any thoughts on this?

Terje

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

The 3.0 heater sticker has some pretty thick leads coming out of it in the middle, so I don't think it would do very well on the top of the bed sandwiched between the bed and a glass plate, you'd never get it to lie flat. Furthermore it heats almost entirely by direct conduction to the bed itself and does virtually nothing to heat the carriage underneath. I think you'd be fine using it as designed.