DIY 2.0 Motor Noises

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

cbensch

DIY 2.0 Motor Noises

Post by cbensch »

I have strange noises coming from two of my Wantai motors. The Y-axis motor has a click at every half revolution when printing and it's getting pregressively worse. The extruder motor has a slight "purring" sound or low, dull, rapid clicking if you will. It tends to change in pitch and loudness at times. I can actually feel the vibration syncronized with the clicking when I place my hand on the top rail. This sound stops instantly when I either pause the print or kill the print entirely. I also will not hear it if I simply power up the machine from Repetier-Host. It's only when the print is active.

Any thoughts on this? I don't like that I have unusual sounds from my motors after owning the machine for less than a month. :cry:

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

Suggestions: The click in Y could be due to insufficient current for the load on the motor. Try turning up the trimpot on the y axis on the motherboard a bit (not sure which direction), but this will give it more juice to work with and may solve it. Don't overdo it, though, as excessive current generates more heat in the motor too.

As for the extruder, I've heard this can happen, it may be due to microstepping trying to hold the rotor between two of the full steps, don't know if it's anything to worry about though. You could try slight adjustment to the current for that one also to see if it makes it any better or worse.

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Ooo! You're on to something. I just adjusted the power for the potmeter that is the fursthest left from the "Felix" text above and heard the clicking decrease in speed with decreased power (right turn) and increase with increased power (left turn). The question is do I want it to be lower or higher? This potmeter is shown in the instruction manual as needing a top dead center setting. Should I add a little more power or take power away?

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

Add more power to remove clicking. Reducing power will lead to more clicking. That said, the pot direction is controlling a resistance that tells the driver how much power to apply, but I haven't looked closely to determine whether higher resistance = more current, or the other way around. (i.e. the power to the motor is NOT travelling directly through the pot.)

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

How far can I turn the potmeter? I don't want to blow up the motor or anthing...I imagine the directions have the potmeter at top dead center for a reason.

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

The goal is to use the least amount of power necessary to eliminate clicking. Essentially turn it up just enough to solve your problem. When it's in use, feel the motors to see how warm they're getting. They should remain cool enough to touch but it's ok if they get a little warm.

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

No good. :cry: I'm currently printing a very small part with intricate details so I manually set my print speed feedrate at 40mm. With less of the "whine" you'd expect from the faster motor speeds I can really hear the clicking now. Unfortunately it seems worse the more I print...but I suppose that is to be expected as unusual noises never just go away. I looked up the Wantai motor reviews and some people say that the failure rate is about 2 out of twenty. That was a single user so who's to say it's correct. I might have those two. :lol: The y-axis click isn't too bad but man the extruder motor is one loud little sucker.

scp

Post by scp »

cbensch wrote:... but man the extruder motor is one loud little sucker.
If you have trouble with the extruder motor, you might want to check if the extruder itself is the culprit. I had the problem just one week ago, after the first 150m of filament only. Seemed like the extruder was partially blocked and the extruder motor was not able to push the filament through. After cleaning the extruder, everything works fine and there are no more noises.

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

I have a dust filter attached to my filament to keep dust clean but I do run a .3mm drill bit into the extruder and turn it gently by hand. Very important I know! I scratehce dmy head for an hour after my fourth print was all sorts of shredded until I found a post that talked about dust. :lol:

Ironically the clicking noise is constant and doesn't change regardless of its activity.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

Sounds to me like the driver is overheating, not the motor, try reducing power.