2nd source for spare thermistors and/or heaters?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

andrewsi

2nd source for spare thermistors and/or heaters?

Post by andrewsi »

Lots of places seem to sell the EPCOS 100K thermistor and equivalents, in the U.S. there are the usual distributors like Digi-key, Newark, and Mouser. However, I haven't found anywhere that has one embedded in the kind of small steel casing that the Felix thermistors come with. Furthermore, the MINIMUM shipping cost from Felixprinters is 30E for a part that will cost only a few bucks if I can find another source in the U.S.

I also note that Makershed (in the U.S.) is re-selling Felix printers now, but they don't appear to stock any of the spare parts.

So my question really is: a) Does anyone know of a second source for true replacements, and if not, then b) is there a viable means of reusing the existing casing by removing a bad thermistor from it and resealing a new one in there? Or can a "bare" bead thermistor be used in the hot end in some way?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

I have reused the thermistor metal casing for thermistors that i got for reprapworld.

It really sucks that we hav to pay 25-30 euros for shipping, they really need to offer cheaper option for spare parts.
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

What did you have to do to extract the old one and/or seal in the new one?

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

Odd coincidence that I started this discussion because I actually did have a bad/intermittent thermistor yesterday, changing it out with my one spare cured it. So now I'm doubly curious what technique to use for cleaning out the guts of the old thermistor to re-use the metal casing. Maybe Dremel it out (rotary tool?) Anyone have other ideas?

chupacabra

Post by chupacabra »

hello everybody, for silicones Trichloroethylene, radical.

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

And one gets trichloroethylene where, exactly?

chupacabra

Post by chupacabra »

in France, chemist or hardware store in a small amount of memory toluene paint store has good result

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Amazon sells them here in the States. 10 pack for like $12. And free shipping with Amazon Prime.

RioRand™ 10pcs 100K ohm NTC Thermistors for Reprap 3D printer, Mendel, Prusa RioRand http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INRZKY8/ref ... bvb14G79WQ

hvdd

Post by hvdd »

hoi,
i had more than 10 thermistors broken, some times even after one day, horror.
solution is :
order at Farnell (uk- eur) part 1672406 NJ28RA0104G for US -- Newark
do not use any SMD thermistor - the solderings inside the housing will melt at these high temperature.
this temp sensor fits just inside the metal reused housing with some fine shrinking tube and the wires can be connected outside at 2 - 3 cm of the heating head.
the first i made is now in for 15 months and temp. always right without any problem, i ordered 10 pieces, used one and one spare made in case of - 9 never used. also for ABS printing.