E3D Extruder Upgrade

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Shayne

Re: E3D Extruder Upgrade

Post by Shayne »

Here is my post curing oven that I use for building my carbon fiber racing water skis, also used for drying filament a lot these days. Also is a small dryer I'm trying. This particular bathroom heater has its on built in thermostat. I use a cheap thermometer hygrometer to make sure nothing is going to crazy and it seems to make a huge difference. I live in the tropics, where the humidity never gets below 70%!! last few months have been between 80 and 95%
Attachments
Small Heating Oven
Small Heating Oven
Larger heating Oven
Larger heating Oven

Shayne

Post by Shayne »

And as an up date this unit has been printing flawlessly since I found the filament issues!!! My nylon samples have arrived and look forward to trying these testing materials!!!

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

Good to hear you are sorting out your humidity problems. I have had quite a few issues here in Brisbane lately. I'm originally from Mackay, so I can well imagine how much difficulty you have. It will be 10 times worst with nylon though. :-)

I'm investigating moving to a E3D extruder. Are you willing to share your design?
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)

Caelum

Post by Caelum »

Hi guys,

From Perth so we have some similar issues with regards to moisture.

I've just put my PLA and ABS through a normal food dehydrator (at ~50 degrees for PLA, 60-70 for ABS) for about an hour or two... The PLA was a bit soft, as it was sitting at 55 to begin with, but that said it looks to have held its shape well. ABS was fine at that temperature, of course.

Pretty sure this is the model - it isn't mine, but a housemates ;)
http://www.careyou.com.au/p/new-5-trays ... uit-v/6281

Bitpower

Post by Bitpower »

Shayne

Post by Shayne »

Capella_Ben wrote:Good to hear you are sorting out your humidity problems. I have had quite a few issues here in Brisbane lately. I'm originally from Mackay, so I can well imagine how much difficulty you have. It will be 10 times worst with nylon though. :-)

I'm investigating moving to a E3D extruder. Are you willing to share your design?
Hi Ben, yep now that I have version 3 done and running very well I will put up files wanted to get a few hour printing first to make sure it is all OK. About 40 printing hours now and found some niggles with V1 and V2. Some very difficult 16 hour huge prints being done at the moment, .75mm shells, nearly full bed size, 180mm tall, 3 sections to be done. Getting wall thickness and slicing right has been a nightmare, but getting it sorted and learning heaps about printing thin stuff.
Attachments
WP_20140513_006[1].jpg

Shayne

Post by Shayne »

Here are the files for the E3D extruder head conversion I did. The E3D unit is a tight fit into its holes they will need a light sand and razor blade scrape to allow fitting. The locking tab I'm using a piece of 2mm Stainless, this is from an earlier version when the plastic locking tab wasn't supported on top, and works very well, the plastic one will work just as well in the new design attached. Just check tab tolerance. The filament tension wave washers are reduced to 4 flat 3 wave (let the last wave washer hang down or tension will loosen while printing when it falls down!) Brass extruder driver needs to have lock screw on Stepper motor side.
Attachments
Noze cooling duct Rev-A.stl
(471.76 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Locking Tab Rev-A.stl
(36.02 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Filament Tension Arm Rev-A.stl
(21.76 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Extruder Head Rev-B.stl
(1 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
Extruder Base E3D Rev-A.stl
(829.08 KiB) Downloaded 46 times