Felix 3.0 kit - Kapton tape replaced with Kapton sheet?

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
mairas

Felix 3.0 kit - Kapton tape replaced with Kapton sheet?

Post by mairas »

Hi,

Just received my Felix 3.0 printer kit today. I have been assembling the printer for a couple of hours, and so far I'm extremely impressed: the build quality is superb, the parts organization is great and the whole thing is a joy to put together. Kudos to Felixprinters!

I quickly went through the BOM im the assembly guide and noticed that my printer kit is missing the Kapton tape roll. However, the printer bed plate package contained two thin transparent foils that'd seem like Kapton to me - but being a complete 3d printer newbie, I can't be sure.

So, my question is: Has the Kapton tape mentioned in the Assembly guide BOM been replaced by Kapton sheets? What would be the recommended way to attach the tape to the aluminum bed?

Cheers,

Matti

satoer

Post by satoer »

I don't know if they have changed the tape for sheets, make sure this isn't the kapton heater. (With the wires)

If they are just sheets, stick one of them on the hot plate with a bit of soap water. Use a plastic bank card to rub the soap away from the middle out. Don't spill soap water on the electronics (like the end stops) cover it with a towel.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

mairas

Post by mairas »

Thanks for the instructions!

No, it wasn't the heater. :-) Looking at Google image search results, it's got to be a Kapton sheet. I had seen the soap trick somewhere and tried that. I suppose I didn't use enough soap the first time, though, because the next day the sheet had become loose again.

I finally got Repetier Host connection working (with a Windows laptop, no success with my Mac) and will soon try the first prints.

mairas

Post by mairas »

OK, googled a bit and now I understand the soap trick - but it's only for making attaching adhesive material easier. The sheets I got don't have any adhesive on them, so I need to attach them somehow. Glueing would be fine if I only knew what kind of glue would withstand the heat and wouldn't be TOO permanent.

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

Take a picture and upload here.
Really want to see what you are talking about
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

mairas

Post by mairas »

Hi,

Here's a picture of the Kapton sheets. The other one is glued to the hotbed with a regular PVAc glue thinned with water. Seems to work well, but I haven't printed anything yet. Have to figure out those darned homing issues first (x-axis limit switch doesn't work, seems to be a opto-sensor voltage issue)...
Kapton sheet
Kapton sheet

telenest

Post by telenest »

Hi,

I just assembled the Felix 3.0. There is a foil on the kapton sheet which you'll have to remove in order to stick it to the bed (there is adhesive between the foil and the Kapton sheet).

Cheers,

Ed

mairas

Post by mairas »

Heh, so true. But the foil took so much effort to separate that I don't even feel stupid about it. ;-)