fluffy printing

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

evanr

fluffy printing

Post by evanr »

Hi all,

My prints are turning out fluffy/airy and are starting to get worse.

Things I have tried:
- calibrated the system using the 100mm rule and then reset the EEPROM config accordingly
- checked the bearing on the extruder arm, changed it
- adjusted the tension on the extruder arm
- flossing the extruder with .35mm guitar wire
- drilling out the hole with .35mm drill bit

but the prints still seem airy and not good.

I think the problem is somewhere in the extruder arm.

I have to add tension to the extruder arm but when I do the bearing doesn't seem to turn when the motor is moving, sometimes it seems stuck, it is intermitent. Calibration checks were intermitent.

BUT, If I don't add tension, the motor doesn't grip the filament. To fix this, I:
- used a dremel to shave the areas where the bearing comes in contact with
- replace the bearing (again)

Could the extruder still be contaminated?
Is there anything else I can do?
Attachments
fluffy print 2
fluffy print 2
fluffy print 1
fluffy print 1

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Assuming that the printer worked fine before, I would rather guess that something is wrong with the hot end temperature. If you switch off the motors, can you feed the extruder manually without too much force? Does raising the temperature help? How stable is the temperature while printing? Variations should not be any higher then say ±2°C.
If it is a clogged extruder, sometimes it helps to "clean it out" by raising the temperature by say 30°C above normal printing temperature and extrude some filament - just extrude, possibly manually, do not retract as this might suck in molten filament where you don't want to have it!
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

... or something is broken, like here: http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopi ... t=20#p5198
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

evanr

Post by evanr »

thanks Dreide for your feedback!

I noticed the bearing was no longer moving.

So, I took took out the extruder and fan... low and behold I have found a 'fracture' in the printer arm.
It seems to be splitting.

Basically, I can't print another head or anything for that matter.
I was considering upgrading from 1.5 to 3.0 anyways.
I guess now is the time.

now I have direction....thanks again.
Attachments
Fracture in the arm: couldn't add tension and bearing was intermitent, eventually bearing seemed stuck
Fracture in the arm: couldn't add tension and bearing was intermitent, eventually bearing seemed stuck

evanr

Post by evanr »

I'm on a budget and I need parts fast.

I took the extruder arm out and glued it with Methalene Chloride (I use this for all my PLA and ABS parts for gluing). Squished it together, and let sit over night.

If the part holds up, immediate first print is another ExtruderArm for a Felix1.5.
Can someone please point me to the STL file for this part?

Makron

Post by Makron »

evanr

Post by evanr »

ok, thanks for the link Markron.

Guillaume sent me an extruderarm STL file, attached is the new extruder part print.
The bearing is moving and the glued extruder arm is holding, for now.

As you can see, the problem still persists... fluffy printing.

Not sure what else the problem could be? Contaminents in the extruder? electronics?
The printer was working ok before and then progressively got worse until the stage you see in this extruder print today.

Any ideas?
Attachments
Fluffy Printing - getting worse
Fluffy Printing - getting worse

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

Every time I've seen a print like this, it's usually been because of insufficient flowrate from the extruder. That could either be because the gcode itself specifies too low of a flowrate, or because the filament isn't feeding properly. Can you see for certain during printing that the filament is indeed feeding in at exactly the rate the motor attempts (e.g. the bearing spins the identical amount, and doesn't slip from time to time?)

evanr

Post by evanr »

unless I'm missing something, the bearing is turning at the same rate as the motor - no slippage.

I used a marker to mark quarter intervals on the bearing to make sure I see it is moving.

I tried increasing power to the extruder motor but it seems it is at max, the motor starts to 'thump'

still fluffy printing.

seaton

Post by seaton »

Try putting a bit of tension with your fingers on the filament i.e. see if you can stop it as it's being extruded and see if there is any slippage or stalling of the stepper. this is how I usually adjust both my motor current and tension of the bearing.

Stephen...
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au