How to increase density on 1st layer

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

IanH1960

How to increase density on 1st layer

Post by IanH1960 »

Hi,

Can anyone help me increase the printing density on the first layer?

I'm using the Felix 3 and slicing with SFACT.

I've looked through the config settings and can see some that affect printing density on a raft or base, but can't see those that might increase density on the 1st layer of the component. I'm looking to produce a more complete fill on this 1st layer to improve the consistency of the surface finish. At present the filament is laid down at times with a small gap between adjacent lines. These fill in with subsequent layer fills but reduce the quality of the finish on the 1st layer...

...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ian

IanH1960

Post by IanH1960 »

...a solution appears to be to increase the temperature of the 1st layer - this produces better melt of the extruded filament and better fill between the lines.

I noticed that the finish for different colours of PLA filament produced different surface finish quality with the same settings. So guessed that the melt characteristics might be slightly different as I have read elsewhere.

For me black PLA needs higher temp that white to get the same surface finish on the first layer.....

temo

Post by temo »

Hello

Usually it helps to set a multiplier on the first layer, like this in Slic3r

http://manual.slic3r.org/FirstPrint.html

First layer height.

A thicker layer height will provide more flow, and consequently more heat, making the extrusion adhere to the bed more. It also gives the benefit of giving more tolerance for the levelness of the bed. It is recommended to raise the first layer height to match the diameter of the nozzle, e.g. a first layer height of 0.35mm for a 0.35mm nozzle. Note: The first layer height is set this way automatically in simple mode.

Fatter extrusion width.

The more material touching the bed, the better the object will adhere to it, and this can be achieved by increasing the extrusion width of the first layer, either by a percentage or a fixed amount. Any spaces between the extrusions are adjusted accordingly.

A value of approximately 200% is usually recommended, but note that the value is calculated from the layer height and so the value should only be set if the layer height is the highest possible. For example, if the layer height is 0.1mm, and the extrusion width is set to 200%, then the actual extruded width will only be 0.2mm, which is smaller than the nozzle. This would cause poor flow and lead to a failed print. It is therefore highly recommended to combine the high first layer height technique recommended above with this one. Setting the first layer height to 0.35mm and the first extrusion width to 200% would result in a nice fat extrusion 0.65mm wide.

Where this settings are in SFACT, I don't know.

Terje

IanH1960

Post by IanH1960 »

...thanks Terje.

I haven't used the Slic3r slicer, but I will have a closer look at it.

I have also been able to see that the bed on my Felix 3 is warped and I can't get a consistent gap size between the nozzle and the bed over the full area of the print. This is affecting the consistency of the surface finish. I can calibrate the gap so that it is fairly consistent for small prints, but larger ones are a problem. This bed warping will be a major problem for me as I was hoping to be able to use the full print area.

I've contacted Felix support re this but have not been able to raise a reply....

Ian

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

IanH1960 wrote:...thanks Terje.

I haven't used the Slic3r slicer, but I will have a closer look at it.

I have also been able to see that the bed on my Felix 3 is warped and I can't get a consistent gap size between the nozzle and the bed over the full area of the print. This is affecting the consistency of the surface finish. I can calibrate the gap so that it is fairly consistent for small prints, but larger ones are a problem. This bed warping will be a major problem for me as I was hoping to be able to use the full print area.

I've contacted Felix support re this but have not been able to raise a reply....

Ian
i've "abandoned" SFACT now for Sli3er, much easier to use and especially much much faster to slice.

As for the warped bed, i presume you have the alu bed, if so, just add a 2mm glass plate over it, problem solved forever.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

IanH1960

Post by IanH1960 »

IanH1960 wrote:i've "abandoned" SFACT now for Sli3er, much easier to use and especially much much faster to slice.

As for the warped bed, i presume you have the alu bed, if so, just add a 2mm glass plate over it, problem solved forever.
...thanks, yes I have the Al bed. I'm trying the glass plate solution at the moment and so far so good - it gives more consistent results and the PLA sticks to it very well without tape.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

IanH1960 wrote:..

...thanks, yes I have the Al bed. I'm trying the glass plate solution at the moment and so far so good - it gives more consistent results and the PLA sticks to it very well without tape.
glad to hear,

i use a bit of hair spray on the glass, if ever it starts to miss-behave.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland